gearbox

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by flea, May 30, 2012.

1. flea

flea Newbie

HELP.I HAVE 97 HILUX 4X4 TRAYBACK.forgot to take hubs out on tar for 3 days.was doing 100ks when the whole front end shock violently side to side used clutch immeditly and the shaking stoped .no visible damage/oil leaks etc.disingage hubs and drove home.tried low and high range ingaged ok but didnt try hubs. drove another 2 weeks in high 2 no problem,no noises etc but the other day tried to engage 4 low car wouldnt move/like the brakes were fully ingaged,tried high 4,same but no noises.had truble shifting back into high 2 but when i did worked fine but again no noise oil leaks etc any ideas before i start looking. also does anyone know if surf gearbox is interchangable without any adaptions thanks

2. dillinja666

dillinja666 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    I gots no truck, for now
    sounds like t case locked up. If I read you right 4wd hi and low work with hubs unlocked, but locking hubs truck wont move? t-case or front diff issue..

3. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    Try unlocking the hubs and putting the transfer case in 4x. I'm betting on the front diff or cv joint in the front driveline locked up after being ran low on lube.

4. flea

flea Newbie

the hubs are unlocked it isnt moving in high4/low4 could it be a collapsed bearing in transfer case?

5. Malessohomegrown

Malessohomegrown Toyotaholic

Truck:
    87Hilux,92Hilux reg,914x4 HiluxEC
    I think your transfer case has locked up from the high rpms you put it thru. Try disconecting the front drive shaft from the front diff. and with the 4 wheel engaged check if the shaft spins. If it does the problem is up front not in the transfer case.

6. whysmee2

whysmee2 Newbie

i would try moving it with only the front hubs in, then i would try just the transfer case without the hubs in, it is ok to do 100km/h either way.
    full time 4WD have a centre diff rather than a transfer case and with my experiences with the suzuki LJ 4x4's is that the front hubs would start to spin the spline out of the front hubs/brake drums and as the hilux have locking hubs, the forces would be that of a jack hammer and the next weakest point is hardened steel and something has to give

7. Malessohomegrown

Malessohomegrown Toyotaholic

Truck:
    87Hilux,92Hilux reg,914x4 HiluxEC
  8. flea

flea Newbie

thanks malessohomegrown,will try that once it stops raining in a few days