Gauge cluster problems

Discussion in 'Interior/Electronics' started by LAYNLOW, Feb 20, 2016.

1. LAYNLOW

LAYNLOW Veteran

Truck:
    93 Toyota Pickup 2wd
    Ok so i have two questions..
    1- when im driving and hit my turn signal ( left or right ) my speedometer needle drops all the way down then back up. Everytime. Wth is causing that!?

2 - i put in some blue L.E.Ds in my gauge cluster and my instrument panel. The other night one went out. Then tonight the other. My instrument panel bulb is still workn good but the other 2 are out. When i put them in i had to turn them 180deg. They worked for awhile. Anyone done this and had this problem? And before the L.E.Ds the regular bulbs worked fine. But for the record they look damn good in there

2. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    1 sounds like a bad ground. I'd start at the cluster and work out from there.

2. Most leds are polarized which is why you had to turn them. Unlike incandescent bulbs leds have a set power and ground. It could have just been cheap leds or you have the dimmer turned down and ran too little current through them to keep them alive.

3. LAYNLOW

LAYNLOW Veteran

Truck:
    93 Toyota Pickup 2wd
    I tryed to adjust the dimmer but they never faded. Just stayed the same brightness...i did notice one of the bulb holders looked a little burnt before i put them in so i replaced it but i havnt taken them out yet to see if it happened again.gonna check tomorrow. The bulbs were kinda cheap but didnt think they would go that quick.gonna try turning them again tomorrow. But wouldnt the instrument panel bulb do the same or no?

4. Mikerocosms

Mikerocosms Veteran

Truck:
    1990 22R Pickup
    Your standard dimmer will no longer control the led bulbs in the same fashion.

5. LAYNLOW

LAYNLOW Veteran

Truck:
    93 Toyota Pickup 2wd
    Gotchya

6. Tavaresninja

Tavaresninja Newbie

Did you find the cause of the speedometer needle dropping out when the turn signal is used? Mine is doing the same thing. Thanks.

7. LAYNLOW

LAYNLOW Veteran

Truck:
    93 Toyota Pickup 2wd
    I sure haven't. It hasnt really bugged me enough to fix it but like white trash mentioned..might be a bad ground..idk...wish i did though

8. KingBouyah

KingBouyah Member

I had read somewhere that the speedometer issue can sometimes be a bad ground, but sometimes it is an issue with the flasher relay. I'm not sure what issue exactly. Might be a good opportunity to get a new relay for some LED turn signals, too. It might solve your speedometer issue and you can go LED on your signals without a hyper blinker.

9. KingBouyah

KingBouyah Member

LAYNLOW likes this.
  10. LAYNLOW

LAYNLOW Veteran

Truck:
    93 Toyota Pickup 2wd