fuel filter

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by to_easy12, Mar 16, 2012.

1. to_easy12

to_easy12 Member

Truck:
    92 reg cab 4cyl 2wd 5sd
    not sure when the last time my filter has been changed since i havent had it but two weeks should i change it out or wait til it goes out. no problems what so ever but was wondering when it does go out does it give you any warning or just the truck wont start. from what i read its not that easy to get to cause some people took their tire and inner fender off to get to it better. just wondering how long these things last. any suggestions:shrug:

2. raylcc

raylcc Addict

Truck:
    89 Regular Cab. The weirdo with the stock suspension.
    Are you talking about the fuel filter or the fuel pump? My idea on it is to do the regular set of maintenance on any used vehicle you buy unless you know for a fact it was done before.
    Oil change, Oil, air and fuel filters, spark plugs, check the brakes, pack bearings, hit all the grease-zerts (if it has any) and at least check fluid levels in tranny and diff. if its an auto, change the filter on that too or better yet, get the tranny and cooling system flushed. I would also highly recommend changing the timing belt/chain.
    I know it sounds like a lot, but it can keep you from getting stranded and having to pile a bunch more money into your just-bought vehicle when you find out the hard way that your 150,000 mile truck was running on its original timing chain and the previous owner thought oil only had to be changed every decade or so.

3. stevemcq

stevemcq Newbie

Truck:
    1988 Toy 2wd, 1987 Toy 4wd
    If it has a Denso marking it is probably the original. I replaced mine from the top and it was a PITA, but it is do-able. Removing the starter will give you some added clearance. Some people go through the passenger wheel well with the wheel off. Good luck!

4. V8_TITAN

V8_TITAN Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 std cab
    where are the fuel filters ? never even seen mine...

5. stevemcq

stevemcq Newbie

Truck:
    1988 Toy 2wd, 1987 Toy 4wd
    22re... Passenger side of engine below intake runners and fuel rail attached with 2 bolts, (black in color)steel filter.

22r... Passenger side frame next to fuel tank, held on by spring clip, white plastic filter.