Front Brakes, Basic Technical Questions 1986

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by YotaMatt, Oct 21, 2013.

1. YotaMatt

YotaMatt Newbie

I went into my local Auto Zone to buy myself some new ****ty rotors and pads for my 1986 Long Bed X-Tra cab. The fellow at the counter asked me which diameter brake rotors I had and also which brake pads I had, and I was unaware that there were any different front brake setups.

I assume that since I have the long bed/X-Tra cab, I would probably have the larger diameter brake rotors and pads to account for the additional weight. Based on my truck's options, can you tell for certain which front rotors and pads will fit it? Or will I have to delve into my dreaded Hanes Motor Manual to find out?

Also, are there any rear disc brake assemblies that can bolt up to my truck? Are there any better front disc brake assemblies that I can bolt up to my truck? I found the brake bracket kit on eBay that uses the 4 piston 4WD calipers and the Willwood rotors, but was hoping for something that I could find in the junk yard. I

2. Beefed Taco

Beefed Taco Addict

If you can, just take a rotor and set of pads from one side to the store for comparison. Good time to inspect & re pack the wheel bearings while it's apart.

There is a guy who makes brackets for a rear disc setup, I saw him on facebook, maybe in the Toyotaminis group forum, can't remember.

3. Xs5875

Xs5875 Addict

Truck:
    1994 Standard cab 22re 5 spd
    For the same price of stock repplacement rotors you can get cross drilled slotted rotors off ebay. I did..they work great. Not Wilwood or Brembo..but they work.