Flickering Head Lights

Discussion in 'Interior/Electronics' started by 71hans, Mar 10, 2012.

1. 71hans

71hans Member

Truck:
    71 Toyota Hilux
    I have been noticing a flicker in my head lights when driving (not sure about in park). It started about two months ago, very subtle, but tonight it was happening more often and very noticeable. Its not to the point of the light turning off completely but it is noticeable flicker that someone might think I was flashing my lights at them. It happens probably 5 times a minute...maybe less, but at random.

I'm thinking I have either a loose wire somewhere or an alternator issue. Has anyone experienced this before on their pickup?

Thanks

2. Malessohomegrown

Malessohomegrown Toyotaholic

Truck:
    87Hilux,92Hilux reg,914x4 HiluxEC
    Check the ground wire for the lights.

3. 71hans

71hans Member

Truck:
    71 Toyota Hilux
    would a poor connection on the ground cause the fuse for the dash lights to blow? My headlights will flicker until the fuse blows, after which I lose my dash lights and running lights.

4. josealex1636

josealex1636 Veteran

Truck:
    83 Toyota Pickup
    It may cause that but check if your not getting a short to ground like any power wire touching any metal my fuse used to blow all the time for my lights in the cluster because since I took off the side markers in my truck the power wire from there was touchin the fender so the fuse was blowing until I fixed it

5. NavyMC

NavyMC Member

Truck:
    78 SR5
    The issue I had on my 78 was that the low beams would just stop working as I was driving down the road. If I turned the high beams on they would work and returning the switch to low beams they would stay on until it did it again... I messed around with a lot of things before deciding to take apart the stearing wheel and clean the 30+ years of **** out of all the electrical contacts and it fixed the problem. I would definately rule that part of it out... I couldn't believe the amount of cleaning I had to do with the switch and the other electrical connections in the steering wheel.... Goo luck and post what you find to add to the body of knowledge on this site!

cheers!!!