Flickering Dash Lights/etc

Discussion in 'Interior/Electronics' started by 831kid, Aug 7, 2011.

1. 831kid

831kid Member

Truck:
    78 hilux
    my 78 pickup interior lights have started flickering the last couple of nights this consists of my guage lights, my light above the stereo and my light on my cb and tach. It attempted to shut off last night but it fired back up and it only does this with the lights on. I do not have a problem during the day i do not know what it is. I need some help here

2. mwilson7770

mwilson7770 Newbie

Truck:
    1978 Toyota Hilux Pickup
    I have a 78 myself and it did this exact thing when I first bought it. All I did was took the cables off cleaned them really good with a wire brush and then reattached the cables tightly. This has taken care of my problem so far, but the cables were horribly corroded and very loose.

Does the battery light come on and then it cuts off? If so, the alternator might need replacing. If you have a multimeter put it on the battery and read the voltage at rest. It should read somewhere between 12 and 13 volts. Then start the truck up and cut everything off (lights, radio, fan, etc.) and the meter should read 14 volts or over. Then cut everything on and the meter should drop down for a second when the accessories are cut on and then pick back up to around 14 volts.

I could be wrong on this because idk what the older trucks were supposed to run as far as voltages, but I know on a newer vehicle (late 90s and above) this is correct.

Hope this helps.