Fiberglass Headliner W/ Speakers

Discussion in 'Interior/Electronics' started by arl33323, Dec 11, 2012.

1. arl33323

arl33323 Enthusiast

Truck:
    84 22r
    I plan to make a fiberglass headliner using the old backer board so I can install some 4" or 5.25" speakers in the back and tweeters in the back. I was wondering those anyone have any ideas on how to mount the speakers and tweeter to glass them. And also would it be better for sound quality to have the tweeters in the a pillar.

:headbang:

2. AGUILAR3

AGUILAR3 Veteran

Sounds easy. Make a glass headliner then make speaker pods/mounts like the ones in the first pic of this link.

Fiberglass Subwoofer Box

3. dillinja666

dillinja666 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    I gots no truck, for now
    I would suggest temp mounting the tweeters in different places in the cab and see what sounds best to you. I hate tweeters in the a-pillars. the one closest to my ear sounds too harsh compared to the other one. duct-tape them around and try them in different potential places until you find something you like....

4. arl33323

arl33323 Enthusiast

Truck:
    84 22r
    i meant tweeters in the front.

thanks for the link aguilar3, I think Ill add the speaker mounts before i glass the headliner and glass it all as one piece.

thanks for the tip, dillinja666 is thinking the same thing about them face me. I didnt think about doing the way you suggest figure out placement and then fiberglass them

5. AGUILAR3

AGUILAR3 Veteran

You can still mount tweeters in the pillars but make sure you get swivel mount tweeters and angle them towards the windshield or directly at each other (off axis).

6. arl33323

arl33323 Enthusiast

Truck:
    84 22r
    Thanks. Would overhead sound bad?

7. AGUILAR3

AGUILAR3 Veteran

Yes, it is possible, but would not sound good. When installing components, you try to keep the tweet and woof within close proximity of one another. This prevents large holes in the stereo image caused by a large separation of the high and low frequencies. Your image would actually seem to "hop" around in the vehicle as it hit higher and lower frequencies. The goal of a good-sounding stereo system is to replicate the original recording as though you were actually listening to it live.
    Try to keep the components as close together as possible.

Speakers mounted on the back and by your head is going to be annoying as hell. Kick panel or door mount will always sound best and be more practical.