Extremely confusing failure,

Discussion in 'Interior/Electronics' started by CrazyCody93, Jul 2, 2012.

1. CrazyCody93

CrazyCody93 Enthusiast

Truck:
    84 Sr5 Xtra cab
    So yesterday i went to go properly adjust my headlights, as i was on the way out of my neighborhood, the turn signal stopped working halfway through an intersection, but the arm didnt click down, so while i was driving i tried to make either blinker work, and nothing, including my hazards, they aren't working either. Then my radio shuts off, and i can't get it to turn on either.

Then my brother pointed out that none of my gauges are working either and the only light that is working in my cluster is the charge light, which goes away after the truck is running.

My first thought was a ground, which i haven't found an answer to yet, all my fuses are good, and then to top it off, when i drove it home and backed it into the driveway, no backup lights...

ANY ideas?! this one is extremely confusing at this point, usually i'm halfway decent with electrical, but this one is a real doozy

2. scrub88

scrub88 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 toy short bed
    Hmmm. Possibly voltage regulator in the alternator ? Does anything work when the key is turned to battery like blinkers fuel gauge rise up radio ?

This may be a long shot but unplug the connections to the back of the headlights and see if anything changes maybe some wacky short out

3. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    What was the last area you worked on,look there for disconnected wire & check the fuses !:cool:

4. craigdbl

craigdbl Guest

yea,one of my turn signal bulbs was not snug in the socket(when I thought it was) and it made my lights do some wacky stuff like that.

5. CrazyCody93

CrazyCody93 Enthusiast

Truck:
    84 Sr5 Xtra cab
    Well i had a bad fuse, replaced it and now the left turn signal is extremely week and pulls the voltage down ALOT, then it will blow the fuse and the buzzer buzzes on and off like a turn signal. But now the gauges work fine.

Hazards are still out,and the radio wont come on.

I would check the last area worked on, but its been so long that i cant even remember where its at!

6. scrub88

scrub88 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 toy short bed
    Blinker solenoid round tube thing under the dash sounds like you may have a burnt wire the Haynes manual has wiring diagrams for many years it may be helpful in tracing your burnt wire if it is that .(inspect the bulb carrier in side your blinker housing )

7. CrazyCody93

CrazyCody93 Enthusiast

Truck:
    84 Sr5 Xtra cab
    Well after considering all of your guys ideas, i hunted to find a pair of pinched wires for the left blinker, after i fixed them, and replaced the fuse, i found i had burnt the hazards fuse in the engine bay as well, which also, for whatever reason, was the constant hot to my radio, and have all the problems fixed!

Just a reminder that electrical problem symptoms are something were really not used to following.

8. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    Good to hear!!:D

9. NavyMC

NavyMC Member

Truck:
    78 SR5
    I hate the PFM of electrical issues and unless you are the one that wired the vehicle on the factory floor, it can be a royal pain! Nice to hear it is fixed though and you are not still chasing electrons around your engine/chasis!!!! Of course, if you could see them it would be easier!!!!

CHEERS!