Exhaust Stud Threads... FACK

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by juanny_depp, Jun 5, 2015.

1. juanny_depp

juanny_depp Newbie

Truck:
    1994 Toyota Pick-Up 2WD DLX
    Anyone else have problems with the female threads for the exhaust manifold studs stripping out on their 22RE head? I guess mine are in much worse shape than I anticipated, because high temp Loctite didn't do the trick. I know form-a-thread is not to be used for high temp applications, so I'm hoping you guys can help me with a solution that doesn't involve pulling the head and having a machine shop put a coil on it. I don't have that option right now since she's my only vehicle. So now I have to live with sounding like Scooby Doo's van when I mob down the street... FML :duh:

2. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    Pull the manifold and put helicoils or better yet time serts in it yourself with the head still in place.

3. juanny_depp

juanny_depp Newbie

Truck:
    I'm not entirely familiar with either process, so I'll do some research. Thanks man. This little truck has been fighting me the whole way, but I'm determined to get her to act right! No surrender...

4. MrDinkleman

MrDinkleman Addict

Truck:
    1988 standard cab, long bed
    White Trash is correct, you do not need to remove the head to install Helicoils or Timeserts.

For Helicoils, I recommend that you buy the correct full kit for the bolt size and not just the coils. The kit comes with the correct sized drill bit, tap, and the insert installation tool. It is tempting to save money by using a standard drill and tap but the helicoils use a special drill bit size that you probably won't find in a standard drill set. The tap is a special size as well.

I tried the money-saving route (generic, "close enough" drill bit, and standard "close enough" tap) but ended up with threads that worked but held the stud/bolt loosely.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
  5. juanny_depp

juanny_depp Newbie

Truck:
    Good to know. I haven't exactly tackled this yet, so I'm glad I was able to get your recommendation. I'm currently stuck on ordering the correct TimeSert kit, so I need access to some calipers. Hopefully the guys in the machine shop at work can help me out. Saving money by not taking it to a shop (I was quoted $360 just for labor at one place, $225 for three heli-coils if I took the manifold off and towed it to the machine shop down the road) means I can spend that on the TimeSert kit. I'd rather do it right.

Anyone order a TimeSert kit before, or know of any vendors in the San Diego area?

6. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    I agree time sets are way better, but helicoils are much easier to get and cheaper. I've always just used helicoils and havnt had a problem.. either way,a make sure to loctite the helicoils or inserts when installing..

7. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    The holes in the head are about 15mm deep and the threads are 10x1.25 thread.

8. tacobo670

tacobo670 Addict

Truck:
    94 Base
    ya. the threads always strip out. especially the last lower rear one. i had 3 on my head that were bad.
    just jam in a time sert. one and done.

9. SloPoke

SloPoke Member

Truck:
    93 standard cab dx
    The usual reason they strip is the bracket that bolts to the bell housing, that the exhaust pipe is supposed to clamp to, is usually gone or removed by PO. I snag them off all the Toyota's in the wrecking yards I visit. They run 9 bucks a bracket around here if you pull it yourself. Scored another one 2 weekends ago when I scored a shift boot. IF yours is missing and you can't source one at a pull yard, let me know.

10. juanny_depp

juanny_depp Newbie

Truck:
    Sweet! Thanks boys! You guys are awesome