Engine sputters when I push pedal.

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by Rumsey63, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Rumsey63

Rumsey63 Newbie

Well I would but there are huge bolts on the tubing as they wouldn't fit (screw) onto the universal part.

2. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    Is there a way to make it just regular hose?

3. scrub88

scrub88 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 toy short bed
    If its rubber fuel line . Any filter with the same inlet outlet diameter will fit just match up the tube size to the filter and slap on a couple hose clamps .., just like first80ypta said .. Your never screwed man built machine man fix machine ha

4. Rumsey63

Rumsey63 Newbie

Haha yeah If I can figure out how to post a pic I will. But it he tubing is bolted on to the glass filter housing

5. whysmee

whysmee Enthusiast

Truck:
    62 toyopet and 76 toyota stout
    I would try and figure out how to get the glass bowl off without breaking it, it might just come off hopefully without issue as they are as good as anything and never need replacement

6. Rumsey63

Rumsey63 Newbie

Alright so replaced the spark plugs and filter and does the same thing. Now what?

7. josephf786

josephf786 Newbie

My 76 started doing the same thing out of nowhere, and got progressively worse. Replaced the plugs, cap, rotor, points, wires and still the same thing. Has a misfire and shaky idle, but under load it really sputters and has a total loss of power unless i go full throttle. Under wide open throttle WOT it accelerates hard with out misfiring... so weird. I know there is at least one vacuum leak b/c when i spray carb cleaner around the carb, the idle surges. I just dont think a vaccum leak would cause this. I'll try and fix it and post the results of what happened.

As far as your fuel filter goes, you should be able to cut the metal lines to the filter and just clamp so rubber hose on there so u can use a universal filter.

8. AustinHilux

AustinHilux Newbie

Truck:
    1974 Hilux
    We're you able to isolate the cause? My '74 does the same thing. I've replace the carborator, vacuum hoses, plugs, adjusted throttle linkage, etc. I likewise am suspecting either fuel filter and maybe pump.