Engine sputters when I push pedal.

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by Rumsey63, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Rumsey63

Rumsey63 Newbie

Hey guys I'm 17 with my 65 stout and I have a problem there was some tubing that looked like it went to my carb and it just blows hot air. I don't know of I has anything to do with it but when I push the gas it sputters I have no clue what's wrong help! I need it ASAP thanks, email at [email protected]

2. Malessohomegrown

Malessohomegrown Toyotaholic

Truck:
    87Hilux,92Hilux reg,914x4 HiluxEC
    so what happened it came off?You have a vacuum leak my friend you gotta plug it back or replace the tubing.

3. Rumsey63

Rumsey63 Newbie

I'm replacing the tubing tomorrow. But It still sputters when I push the gas. I have to force my foot all the way to the floor to make it go

4. scrub88

scrub88 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 toy short bed
    Has the truck had any tune ups carb rebuild or how is the points inside the distributer sputtering can be 3 things vacuum leak .. Carburetor ignition aka spark . Forcing the foot sounds to me like vacuum leak or a poor operating carb ... How's does the truck idle .. Shaky missing stalling out ?

Hot air from tube .. Does this tube come from the exhaust manifold and plug hook somwhere on the intake box or carb

5. Rumsey63

Rumsey63 Newbie

The truck idles fine it's when I accelerate it sputters and won't really accelerate I'm replacing tubing tomorrow, I have been strapped on cash so I did let my tank get low on gas. Fuel filter maybe?

6. Rumsey63

Rumsey63 Newbie

And where the tubing fits is on the carb and somewhere on top of the block

7. scrub88

scrub88 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 toy short bed
    Def wanna replace a fuel filter when u run out of gas there's a lot of crud on the bottom of a old tank and can easily stop up a fuel filter and starve a motor .. Change that . And see how it acts

The tubing is probably a PVC valve or crank case ventilation .. If its coming of the top of the valve cover and connects to the intake tubing .. I don't see that causing the problem .. It would have to connect below the carburetor for it to create a vacuum leak

8. Rumsey63

Rumsey63 Newbie

Do you know where I can get filters for a stout?

9. Rumsey63

Rumsey63 Newbie

The sooner I know the better because I got school starting soon

10. scrub88

scrub88 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 toy short bed
    Not of the top my head as we don't see many stouts still kickin ., if the truck had metal fuel lines underneath it . Then it's proably still available .. If its a rubber fuel line .. Any parts store fuel filter with the same inlet and outlet diameter will work a few hose clamps done deal .... Might try rockauto.com they might have stout parts

11. whysmee

whysmee Enthusiast

Truck:
    62 toyopet and 76 toyota stout
    Photos are nice, I assume it has a double barrel nikki carby and if you are a Facebook person join the toyota toyopet stout group

12. Rumsey63

Rumsey63 Newbie

I've tried rock auto and they say its a 1965 part but it doesn't look the same. Can't I just clean the filter?

13. scrub88

scrub88 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 toy short bed
    Don't think the filter can be takin apart . Sometimes the picture doesn't actually represent the part
    But maybe whysmee can confirm this if the truck uses rubber fuel lines a universal filter will do if its hard line and unscrews from the lines than proably wanna find one .. Or take it off and run up to the parts store and match thread size any inlet outlet filter will work just make sure the threads are the same size. And type

14. Rumsey63

Rumsey63 Newbie

Can't I just clean the filter?

15. Rumsey63

Rumsey63 Newbie

Sorry double post and yeah Nikki carby I have to take off the fuel lines to get to it

16. whysmee

whysmee Enthusiast

Truck:
    [​IMG]
    The original glass bowl fuel filter work very well as water and grit are easy seen and removed, the only downfall is if the glass bowl has not been off in a long time the O ring seal bonds to it and makes getting the bowl off all but impossible.
    As a quick test I rev the engine up and put my hand on top of the carby to try and stop all air flow and use the vacuum of the engine to dislodge any possible 5hit in the jets, idle jet is normally the main one that gets blocked where they don't idle and this normally solves such temporarily, as it is not impossible that it is crap in the main jet and only idle and secondary es are working properly. With old vehicles it is never normally one thing but many smaller things combined and and each little thing might not have much effect, a small vacuum leak might go unnoticed, incorrect timing, pionts and plug leads breaking down or a little bit of grit restricting flow of fuel through a jet and when they all happen at the same time one either has to pay another or learn how to fix such themselves

17. whysmee

whysmee Enthusiast

Truck:
    [​IMG]
    This is the original steel fuel filter on my 1976 RK101 toyota stout and a earlier style glass bowl filter that I will install at a later date, my 76 stout sat in a shed unused since 1984 and had never been off the texas Queensland Australia farm/station "ranch" from new having only done 59, 000kms 36, 000miles untouched not even oil change still having original toyota oil filter

18. Rumsey63

Rumsey63 Newbie

So I'm pretty much screwed?

19. Rumsey63

Rumsey63 Newbie

Can it be replaced?

20. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    If its rubber hose on both sides of it then just get a universal one to replace it.