Engine Rebuild options

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by oahu grown, Aug 31, 2010.

1. oahu grown

oahu grown Toyotaholic

Truck:
    92 Extra Cab
    Hahahahaha, good idea. What is over sized valves though, just so i understand. Its just a little bigger then stock but still fit in the cylinder?

2. V8_TITAN

V8_TITAN Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 std cab
    what he means no, its not good for them.

3. Raffaelli

Raffaelli Toyotaholic

Truck:
    82 Longbed 2WD
    Simply put, oversized valves are bigger than stock valves.

Because the actual valve/valve opening is the most restrictive part of an engine, making em bigger is a simple way to get more airflow. (to a practical point).

Since you are talking about rebuilding your motor with a little pep, its a great place to start. Now to get nitty gritty.

EngnBldr does sell oversized stainless steel valves, cheep. But the actual oversize is miniscule. .033 oversize is a spark plug gap. But they are 60 bucks and probably wouldnt need new valve seats. Keeping costs down.
    http://www.engnbldr.com/toyota_performance.htm

After that your going to buy LC Engineering stuff (Manley brand valves) and can get 1.5mm oversize (which just happens to be .059 inches). Up to crazy,3.5mm over (.1377 in) int. and exht. It get expensive.

It gets wild at that point, and wouldnt reccomend it. But to see what a size difference it is, look here, post 157.
    http://www.toyotaminis.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5411&page=16
    I would just reccomend the EngnBldr stuff. Youll be happy. OR get ahold of 22R All Motor. Ricky has a set of 1.5mm over SS valves and springs he'll prolly sell cheap. :shrug: For a solid, mild port and polish, watch all 4 of this guys videos. He has some really good info.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNEVhU5vCao&feature=related

And porting isnt all its worked up to be. Just a little die grinder work and some sanding drums can do anything from a smoothing out, to going hog wild. If your up to it, it only really takes time, patience, and a little thought.

One more thing. Stock springs are fine for a lot of cams. Ive hit 6500 rpm on stock springs and it still had more in it. (but dont do it! :evil: Itll blow!)

4. B.Y.E.

B.Y.E. Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1982 2wd Hilux
    I got a lightened stock flywheel for sale... :waytogo:

5. oahu grown

oahu grown Toyotaholic

Truck:
    92 Extra Cab

Thanks for the links and pictures once again. I greatly appreciate it. Looks like oversized valves it will be along with porting of the head. Quick question since i never read into it too much yet. Do i need to remove the head to install the valves? I know i need to in order to port the head and exhaust. But what about the valves? Might as well change headgasket too as well. Any other things i can do to get pep? Or anything else you guys recommend before getting super extreme?

6. oahu grown

oahu grown Toyotaholic

Truck:
    92 Extra Cab
    Wanted these pictures here as reference for when i actually get started so dont have to look them up again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

7. Raffaelli

Raffaelli Toyotaholic

Truck:
    82 Longbed 2WD
    That kinda work needs the head off the block, ready to go to the machine shop.

A nice header helps alot with go-power. Lots of people run all different kinds. Pacesetter 4-1. LC, Hooker, Doug Thorley. A simple and clean 2 and 1/4 in exhaust does wonders.

8. oahu grown

oahu grown Toyotaholic

Truck:
    92 Extra Cab
    Theres a header on it right now. dont know what kind it is but its on there. Also plan to do the exhaust myself after i rebuild the motor.

9. oahu grown

oahu grown Toyotaholic

Truck:
    92 Extra Cab
    Alright so i kinda made some progress. My money came in so finally had a chance to order my parts. Since im not able to find a cheap reliable car here, looks like im just gonna take a week of vacation from work and do my truck.

I ordered the timing chain kit with oil pump. They have really good customer service and suprisingly they can ship/mail to hawaii in 3-5 business days. So it should be here by next week, friday at the latest. Just gotta get the small things now like gaskets and RTV silicone.

Still thinking about doing the larger valves, just not sure if the machine shop would be able to do it in one week and the price. Its still a thought out there though, since the kit is so cheap.

And finally i brought me a tool set. Craftsman 260 piece set with some plastic hard carrying case. Has 3/4, 1/2, and 1/4" drives. So im just about ready to tackle the job. Anywho had to include at least some pictures.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. IronNam

IronNam Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 XCab
    dude.
    remove that oil filter.
    it is not worthy to be on your motor.
    you want the best?
    I'm running the best.

Purolator PureOne PL3001.
    400sq.in. of filtering material.
    Exceeds Toyota Genuine Oil Filter standards.
    Yzz-D1 compact - 170sq.in. ish
    Yzz-D2 Large - 200sq.in. ish
    PL3001 - 400sq. in.

other than being superior in size...
    the filtering material is amazing.

but remember to fill it with oil before filling the truck, it takes a quart.

11. oahu grown

oahu grown Toyotaholic

Truck:
    92 Extra Cab
    Nam what filter you talking about, the regular one on the truck? Yeah after doing the timing chain i going do one full tune up and use synthetic oil.

Also gonna call the machine shop today and see hows the pricing for putting in the valves. Ill keep you posted.

12. V8_TITAN

V8_TITAN Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 std cab
    I would do the valves man, You got one week to get this right with little experiance. Do it stock, stock is realiable. your adding 10 times more work if you take that head off. Good luck

edit- also I wouldnt run synthetic. Ive heard its bad to switch from dino oil to synthetic unless the motor is pretty much new, or its been completely rebbuilt... I think it sticks to all the sludge from the dino oil so even though you have plenty of oil its all in the wrong places..and it eats gaskets faster when switched from reg oil.. thats all I heard though.. no data to prove.

13. MarcinAJ

MarcinAJ Member

Synthetic oil will usually have a stronger mix of detergent additives and it will break up the sludge left over from running normal oil. Its a good thing, but problems can arise if you've already got leaks or excessive wear. The sludge from normal oil will tend to fill in and plug up leaks so people switch to a full synthetic and all of a sudden their engine is taking a dump because the sludge goes away.

14. Raffaelli

Raffaelli Toyotaholic

Truck:
    82 Longbed 2WD
    Great info!

And completley true. Shelled a VW bug engine because of that.

And I think Nams talking about my Fram filter :eek:.

Oahu-In one week, dont go bigger valves. Machine shops operate on molassas time. :lol:

15. IronNam

Truck:
    94 XCab
    I'm running synthetic 5W-30?

Fram filters are ****... paper internals and cardboard. inferior design compared to the Toyota oil filter standards. its like downgrading your truck from nice to rice. its not good for it at all.

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/reference.html

Edit: I'm running a PL30001. i forgot an extra 0

16. oahu grown

oahu grown Toyotaholic

Truck:
    92 Extra Cab
    So yeah i checked with the machine shop and right now there kinda busy. The guy said at least 2 weeks but he cannot guarentee anything, so looks like im just gonna replace the chain.

Nam how much do those filters run there? The shop down here wants $45 for that filter. Maybe you could ship me one.

And everyone else. If the chain ate through the cover and is letting water leak, how do i fix this when i change the chain? Do i just add more RTV/silicone to that particular area, let it go and water wont leak anymore or am i **** outta luck? Anyone got info on that particular part cause i think thats where ill run into a problem.

17. V8_TITAN

V8_TITAN Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 std cab
    that filter runs for about 5 dollars at advance auto parts, Ill pick some up and mail them to you if youd like.

also you need a new timing chain cover if it ate through, go ahead and order one before you take it apart... better safe than sorry

18. oahu grown

oahu grown Toyotaholic

Truck:
    92 Extra Cab
    Shoots ill go check the local parts store for a cover and gasket when i pick up the RTV and other stuff ill need. Thanks for the heads up. Ill post some pics after i open it up to see if you guys think ill need a new cover or not, you guys would know better then me.

And V8, you got a paypal account or whatnot? I dunno what way would be cheapest to send. Let me know.

19. oahu grown

oahu grown Toyotaholic

Truck:
    92 Extra Cab
    So i went to the parts store today to pick up the gaskets i needed as well as the RTV silicone. Grabbed a oil pan gasket. Valve cover gasket. Timing chain cover gasket. Wasnt sure if i needed the timing chain one but better to be safe then sorry. Also asked about a new timing chain cover and they run about $125 down here. Always in stock so im gonna pull mines first and see how it looks. Oil never started to milkshake yet but some coolant is leaking. Anywho heres some pics for the pic whores.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last of the stuff i need to gather is
    1. Simple green to clean the engine with. Theres oil everywhere. Want to get it nice and clean before i start to open it up.
    2. Electric fan, wanna run a electric fan instead of the regular one
    3. Scraper to scrape off old silicone and whatnot before i lay new gaskets.
    I think thats all ill need. Just waiting for the kit to come in. Then requesting vacation.

20. IronNam

Truck:
    94 XCab
    $45?! holy crap mine was $5 or $6.