electric fan ?

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by craigdbl, Dec 20, 2011.

1. craigdbl

craigdbl Guest

My stock fan is 14" diameter,when you guys upgrade to an electric fan do you keep the fan shroud intact and the same diameter fan or remove it and go with the same diameter or bigger fan?

2. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    Spal fans have a shroud around them, & mount right to the stock radiator.
    I made my own mounting brackets ,but they come with brackets you can use!:cool:

3. suncomb1

suncomb1 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1983 Toyota SR54x4 Mojave Edition-Black Package Shortbed Sport Truck
    I have a 1983 Toyota 4x4 and I run a 15" Ford 2 speed fan on my stock steel fan shroud.

4. geonbugman

geonbugman Member

Truck:
    93 Pick-up
    I'm mounting a stock ford fan right now. I cheesed it a bit and found a cookie sheet the size of my radiator core. add a few simple brackets and boom electric fan.

5. BUDRO

BUDRO Member

Truck:
    2007Taco Xtra cab, 1987 Reg cab ,1985 Turbo Xtra cab
    The ford Taurus fans work good and can be set up as a two speed. Just be careful how you mount any electric fan , you can destroy a radiator really quick.

6. SD YOTA

SD YOTA Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma 2wd
    I ran dual 10" from auto zone, should one fail, I would still have a backup. I also wired it up should my controler go bad I could connect it directly to get me home.

7. Dgerfan55

Dgerfan55 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 pickup

What brand where they? Also if you dont mind.... How much were they?

8. 808yotskies

808yotskies Enthusiast

how do u guys wire ur fan up. mine was wired to the fuse box and as soon i turn the key to ON the fan turns on. im just wondering if theres any other way to wire it besides a toggle switch.

9. geonbugman

geonbugman Member

Truck:
    93 Pick-up
    I used a fan controler from the auto parts store. Easy to wire up and I set mine to come on when the anti-freeze get to 190deg. I pulled ppower for the main wire from the battery and the others from the fuse box. Mine even had a signal wire to run off the A/C compressor clutch.

10. TRUCK ACTION

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    Same here. I ran a fan controller fro Centec & also have a over ride switch @ the dash!:cool:

11. Dgerfan55

Truck:
    94 pickup
    Anyone have pics of there set up

12. craigdbl

craigdbl Guest

Here's a couple I found awhile back. Don't know whos' they are.[​IMG][​IMG]

13. TRUCK ACTION

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    [​IMG]

Made some better brackets that are now on it!

14. craigdbl

craigdbl Guest

Now thats the kinda pics we need. Thanks TA.

15. Dgerfan55

Truck:
    94 pickup
    Nice pic. Whats those chrome tubes next to the radiator on each side. Also do you have any of how ou ran your wires.

16. TRUCK ACTION

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    The tubes are overflow tanks from Billet Specialties,one I modified the bottom plug so I could install the windshield washer pump. One overflow,the other wash fluid!
    The fan is wired though a Centech fan controller,http://www.centechwire.com/catalog/cooling/fc2p.shtml part #FC-2PG,which wires into the water temp. gauge ,so you can set to come on when you want. I also wired a override switch in @ the dash so can turn on before temp.on is reached( for in traffic).:cool:

17. BUDRO

BUDRO Member

Truck:
    2007Taco Xtra cab, 1987 Reg cab ,1985 Turbo Xtra cab
    SWEEEEET set up !!! Where did that polished radiator come from? I need one of those for my project.

18. Dgerfan55

Truck:
    94 pickup
    Ok i was read up on this electric fan verses the belt driven fan and i read that theres no advantages for changeing from belt driven to electic fan.This is what was said...............................

Lets make this very simple; it takes energy to turn a fan. PERIOD.
    If you replace the belt drive fan with an ELECTRIC fan, rather than loading the FAN belt, you'll be loading the ALTERNATOR belt.

Now think about this;
    When you are converting energy from one form to another, there is energy loss in the conversion.... so, you start by converting mechanical force into electric current using the alternator. This conversion loses energy, mostly in the form of HEAT. The remaining energy runs along the wire to the electric fan motor, where it is converted AGAIN, this time from electric to mechanical... again losing energy as heat in the conversion.

With the mechanical belt drive fan, you are saving two energy conversions and all of the energy that would be lost in those conversions.

LEAVE THE BELT DRIVE FAN, ITS MORE EFFICIENT!!!

Also i read this to.......................................

Uh... no.
    Those "high end" vehicles (that you mention) have electric fans because they have front wheel drive and the engine is pointed in the wrong direction to put a fan on it.

Look carefully at your fan. You'll notice the "hub" on it is a piece of aluminum with some fins, and that device is bolted onto the front of your WATER PUMP.

That aluminum device is a THERMOSTATICALLY CONTROLLED CLUTCH. When the water gets hot, this heat is conducted through the shaft into the clutch, which then locks up as a result of heat and causes the fan to turn on.

It most certainly does NOT just run continuously. It may spin a little bit as a result of the clutch, but it isn't going to be sucking up massive amounts of energy. FURTHER, when the vehicle is moving, there is air flowing through the radiator actually pushing the fan a bit in the same direction as it would turn if the clutch were locked... hence no additional drag on the engine.

The reason why they use this scheme is because it is more efficient and more reliable than electric fans.

So some help me understand why i should do it? Besides cleaner look and less clutter.

19. TRUCK ACTION

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    This is false!!
    A mechanical driven fan draws from the HP your engine can produce,period!!
    An electric driven fan ,though does require more electrical current,does not increase the load on the belt,or take from the HP!
    A larger output alternator, & better battery,may be in order,but is not always the case!
    That depends on how many other non stock electrical items have been added!! :cool:

20. Litneon

Litneon Super Moderator Staff Member

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    Well, it isn't entirely false. Almost everything he pointed out is true, at times.
    Anytime the mechanical fan is spinning, it is using some power from the engine, even if the viscous clutch is slipping. It never spins "freely".

Second, the energy conversion is not 100% efficient, so there is lost energy with the electric setup too. The advantage comes when you can manage your energy consumption. For most of us, well, we never take advantage of this benefit, but on a built turboed engine, you could set up the engine management to kill the fan while under boost thus using all of your power for acceleration.
    The electric fan will require slightly more power, but the battery acts as a storage cell (duh), releases gobs of power when needed and the charge load is spread out over time on the alternator.

For the rest of us, it's just plain cool. It cleans up the engine bay and makes things easier to work on....

My setup....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]