Drift yota!?!?!?!?

Discussion in 'Suspension/Chassis' started by 94ratyota, May 30, 2011.

1. 94ratyota

94ratyota Newbie

AIght so I wanna turn the yota into a drift machine. Ive alwazed admired n been inspired by the drift world. Ive only seen one yota drift truck.

My main thing is how to convert to coil spring suspension? Ive come to the understanding that its a basic bag build except with coils. But how do you know what springs to get?

If anyone has info or build thread pics n info id be much abliged...wanna get Sideways!

2. Red1979SR5

Red1979SR5 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1985 Toyota Shortbox, 1992 Mazda B2200, 1972 Datsun PL521
  3. planemos

planemos Toyotaholic

Truck:
    92 2wd Xtra-Cab,98 2wd Xtra-Cab, 1988 Toyota Supra turbo
    The rear is easy. Just build a 4 link with coilovers. Or, depending on how hardcore you want to get, get a irs from a car. I think the AE86 Corolla has a solid rear axle and it does pretty well. And then the front is kinda hard to fit coilovers. Tacomas use those QA1 coilovers all the time. But with your truck you would have to ditch the torsion bars and more than likely get a set of control arms that could work with coilovers. And weld an upper mount for the shock. You will want an lsd or welded diff. Otherwise you won't be drifting, only sliding.

4. 94ratyota

94ratyota Newbie

THanks planemous, my main concern howevr is what car/truck do I steal the springs from lol

daniel hays likes this.
  5. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Get coilovers. Adjustability + drop= WIN!

I think putting coilovers would be esier than trying to throw on some coils

6. planemos

planemos Toyotaholic

Truck:
    92 2wd Xtra-Cab,98 2wd Xtra-Cab, 1988 Toyota Supra turbo
    That's me! Planemouse! LOL

Yea it just depends on how much fabrication you want to do. IRS works from a few cars if it is narrow enough. I think Nissan 240s? MK3 Supras?
    Oh and if you go to customtacos.com you can see some QA1 setups. Beefed Taco does them I believe. And try looking at 69 Camaro shocks as well they fit on the lower control arm with minimal modification.

7. IronNam

IronNam Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 XCab
    Don't forget to run an LSD. All your suspension will mean NOTHING if you're inside tire keeps spinning.
    you'll need sway bars, more control of the truck and less body roll. our truck's front sway bar isn't thick enough.

8. eurofreak2002

eurofreak2002 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    80 STD SR5 LB, bagged! The new whip!
    My buddy Woody's driftyota: Stock rear setup suspension wise except I think he has stiffer leafs or ladder bars. I know the differential isnt stock. Yup that is an SR20DET in there as well. This thing is NUTZ.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. IronNam

IronNam Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 XCab
    Nice, I wondered about an SR20DET swap in my truck a looooooooooooong time ago.

10. 94ratyota

94ratyota Newbie

I cant thank you guys enough for all the info, oh and that truck is sick dude, I was thinking going flat black with my yota but guess Im gonna change it up now lol. Oh and eurofreak dose your buddy have a build thread or any pics I could barrow, I love the idea of keepin the suspension if it works. I know im goin to need to do some reasherch on the geometry of drift suspension that way I can dial her in n get her to slide juuuusstt right. Lol.

But what im confused on is wer, if I decide to go coilovers, do I get them from? Can I go by spring rate n find a comparable car/truck n use there aftermarket coilovers? Oorrr.....

11. stihlalive00

stihlalive00 Member

Truck:
    93 pickup
    keep it in the family, boost the 22re or go crazy with a hi-rev boosted 4age or something diff lol

12. eurofreak2002

Truck:
    My buddy is not on this forum! He is on StreetSource. If your going to put coilovers on it you can pretty much use WHATEVER. When you 4 link it and remove the leafs you will have to build shock tower mounts I would also notch the frame and bridge it this would give you a great base to put the coilovers on, basically as you mentioned before Bag the truck but instead of bags it would be coils. I would mount them rear the axle. If I were gonna do it Id probably use 240 coils or 350Z coils probably a 10.5 to 12 KG spring rate.

Life would be super easier if you just did a IRS out of a sc400 or something cause then youd just have to buy the coilovers for that car.

daniel hays likes this.
  13. Dux_Trucks

Dux_Trucks Enthusiast

Truck:
    1988 hi-lux std cab 2wd 5spd short bed
    Ive been slidwayz in my yoda for a few years now .. so some advice that I can give you is

1:WELLED THAT FUXER:waytogo:

2: THE LEAFS DONT LIKE BEING WELLED ON BLOCKS :(

3: NEEEEEEDS MORE POWER :doah:

4: I LOVE IT WOULDNT CHANGE IT FOR THE WORLD :waytogo:

People never think that you are going to do anything then the jaw drops:jawdrop::bowdown: lofl

14. joeyota653

joeyota653 Enthusiast

2:traction bars would help this, ryt?

i ****ing love that reaction! hard to get that here on guam, since most locals with fast trucks ALWAYS mess around:lol:

15. 94ratyota

94ratyota Newbie

dude thats what i want most is the reaction of evrybody when i hit it sideways....so i think i got this thing in the bag now fellas (and gals) the front might be more challenging than the rear, the rear seems pretty simple considering.

anybody got ne ideas on the front? i think i got it but i just want some more possitive opions or reinforcement.

thanks

16. Robert m

Robert m Addict

Truck:
    '94 single cab, 22re, 5spd
    the best way to find out what coilovers you need, you'll first need to know where they are going to mount, then length of the shocks from fully compressed to fully extended. with those dimensions you can either find some off another car with similar measurements or get some custom ones like what is run on hotrods (which i think are QA1) or if you wanted to spend some coin, you could possibly run fox/king/swayaway coilovers. i think fox makes the shortest one with like 3.5'' or 5'' travel.
    to give you a starting point with spring rates, im running a 400# spring on the front of my truck with my coilovers. you will probably want a little less so a 300-350# spring would probably be good.

17. 94ratyota

94ratyota Newbie

AIght so heres another q? How low can I go on 18s before I have to cut the fender wells n do I need to go that low? Im tryin to hit a buncha drift forums but have gotten that far yet.

Ne links are much apprecited!

18. eurofreak2002

Truck:
    I dont know of many drift forums for trucks but Roadsterdrift.com (mainly miatas and rx7's) My 350Z.com has a drift section.

You could get about 4 out of front before cutting metal. If your gonna be drifting Id consider cutting them out anyway makes room for breathing and such. If your gonna do coilover rear end you'll have to cut bed out as well.

19. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    BFH to the front wheelwells

20. 94ratyota

94ratyota Newbie

AIght so im on the verge of giving up any body have ne detailed pics of a front coilspring conversion!!!!