Door and Window Gaskets

Discussion in 'Interior/Electronics' started by toy_boy, Mar 1, 2009.

1. toy_boy

toy_boy Addict

Truck:
    1979 Toyota 4x4
  2. Comrade_Charlie

Comrade_Charlie Veteran

Truck:
    1973 Hilux
    No problem, found that site looking for 18rg engine parts... Through that idea out the window, Im probably going with a vg30 from a 80s 300zx I know every inch of that engine, good power, compact, CHEAP.

But I think I am going to buy the points to magnetic pickup from that site.

3. toy_boy

toy_boy Addict

Truck:
    1979 Toyota 4x4
    18rg motors are just downright mean and nasty. I had to get relatives overseas to get a hold of a complete gasket set, chain, and guides for me (for my 72' Mark II Wagon). I ended up passing the project over to my younger brother as a wedding gift.

You can still get them out of Los Angeles, but expect to pay way more than you would with relatives in Asia. It's a great motor to run, pricey, but a lot easier if you know a couple of guys who already have one. I was lucky to come across a bunch of local Celica fanatics with 18rg motors in their cars - who were extremely supportive.

If you decide to pick up the idea, again, let me know. I'll point you in the right direction. :)

Note: There are both genuine Toyota and aftermarket variations available. The latter just tend to wear faster.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  4. Comrade_Charlie

Comrade_Charlie Veteran

Truck:
    1973 Hilux
    Id rather not deal with such hard to find parts, I just thought if i could get the head and some little stuff it would work, but the valves would hit the pistons so....... im looking other options, nothing soon, going to ride on the 18r for a while, probably till next summer when it gets warm.

But if i found one for a few hundred Id take it but otherwise I dont want to sink a lot of money just in the engine. A nissan v6 I could get for 150 bucks and I have everything at my house to make it work, 205hp, 230torque, stock turbo 6.7lbs.

5. toy_boy

toy_boy Addict

Truck:
    1979 Toyota 4x4
    Have you considered a simple, yet reliable 20r...or it's big brother 22r..? Drove my wagon 600+ miles to get her home and that was on it's original tired 18r motor. They are truly hardy motors and after one got me home in one piece driving from Los Angeles to San Francisco in the wee hours of the morning, I dare not speak a bad thing about them. :)

But for modern day long drives / daily driving....even after experiencing the 18RG (more for hotrodding), I absolutely love the twenties more than anything. Even in stock form they are a lot of fun. Easy to work on, etc. etc. If you do go this route I do suggest sticking with the dual chain versions (Pre-83). Otherwise you will be replacing them ever 100k.

Either way, you have a really awesome little truck there. I wish I had a 73' to play with. No smog! Found a 74' I'm trying to wheel and deal for.....(we shall see.) :)