Does anyone know of a list of engine swaps?

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by Barret S, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Barret S

Barret S Veteran

Truck:
    86 Standard cab 2wd
    Hey guys, I was just curious if there is an on-going list of engine swaps for the 84-88 trucks? I started a build log about 5 years ago and about 2 years into it I slacked off pretty hard for some other projects. Trying to get back into it and still unsure about a v8 swap. So far I have seen sbc 350's, sbf 302, Lexus v8, to name a few dropped off into them. I can't say that I have seen anyone stick a tundra 4.7 or 5.7 into one, but I would imagine its because of the width/height of the engine with oil pan.
    Any of you seen any other v8's dropped off into the trucks? I'm really wanting to stick with a yota engine, but if not, I might stick like a 5.3 in it.

2. Barret S

Barret S Veteran

Truck:
    86 Standard cab 2wd
    No one huh?

3. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    For some reason there arent too many one stop, this everything you can do and how to do it for yotas. Dont get me wrong. Im glad for what there is but there could be more. Most of what is seen the most popular.

This isnt of much help but you just gotta keep digging or be the first.

Me personally i had to figure out how to rewire my 72. Ive been pulling info from different places and combining it to work for my setup and what i want

4. Barret S

Barret S Veteran

Truck:
    86 Standard cab 2wd
    Yeah, it does seem like you have to be the way-maker for an engine swap. I was just curious what people have gotten away with in these. Every time I go to the junk yard I look at engines and try to decide if it will fit or not, caught myself eyeballing a v12 BMW engine the other day at the junk yard, for $200 why not ya know? lol.

5. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Holy crap that would be insane!

Gotta say dont think anything bigger than a V8 would fit. Plus there are bolt on parts out there for the popular swaps like motor mounts, bellhousings, and i think headers too. Im researching SBC swaps right now so i can see what kind of damage my wallet is going to take lol

6. Barret S

Barret S Veteran

Truck:
    86 Standard cab 2wd
    I'm not worried too much about most of it fitting, more concerned about overall engine height and depth. I'm bagging my truck, cutting trans tunnel, etc. Crossmember is already cut out, so i'm willing to fab a lot on this project. That v12 wasn't all that big, its 6.0 liters in displacement and isn't that much larger physically than the 5.3 in my Chevy. When I get home i'm going to measure mine and see how exactly it fits in the yota, and if so I will probably have another 5.3 to build for it next week on a trade.

7. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    5.3 is about the same size as a 5.7 isnt it? Idk how true itnis now but the old 327 and 350 were similar in size the differences were all internal. So just guessing if a 350 fits then anything roughly that size should work (with the obvious fab work.