DOA vs LCEngineering...

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by six7one, Aug 7, 2007.

1. six7one

six7one Newbie

What's up Peeps, so I'm in the market for a fasst 22r motor and was doing some research, I was wanting some input from ya'll about these 2 companies..It seems that they both specialize in 22r's but has anyone bought motors from them? What's the difference? How much hp can I get out of a tricked out 22r? Thanks!

2. toytruck

toytruck Newbie

I wouldn't buy either one. There are only a few things you can do to the motor itself to gain HP and the results are marginal. The head is where it is at- cam, oversized valves, port\polish. Most of the mods are outside the motor - header, intake, throttle body, EFI. Paying a lot for a motor isn't going to get you much more HP and doesn't guaranty anything.

I bought a 2.5 liter 22RE from LC Engineering and it spun a bearing in less than 2 months. They wouldn't stand behind the warranty claiming that it was running rich and fuel leaked past the piston rings and contaminated the oil. I passed California smog after the motor was installed so it couldn't have been running that rich. I paid $3,500 for the motor and got about 2,000 miles out of it.

I recommend that you have a reputable local engine builder build you a motor using quality parts. In any big city you can usually find a builder that specializes 22r/re motors. If you have any problems, they're local and it's a lot easier to work things out. I didn't have the time or a truck to drive to Arizona to sue LC so I'm out $3,500. If you buy local you at least have small claims court as an option. If you're interested, more details on the saga can be found here:

http://www.blowsand.com/truck/lclemon.htm

3. ShoNuff

ShoNuff Toyotaholic

Truck:
    75 hilux, 80 4x4
    i think both of those sites are good for research and a stated reflection of mods.

for the amount of money you would spend @ either of those places you could build your eng and paint the car. either way 200hp is hard to do while 150 or so is pretty easy.

if your willing to pony up that kind of cash why not look into other more powerful engines like the 7m,1jz or 2rz. there is a pretty low ceiling for the 22r's its day was a long time ago.

4. trap

trap Addict

Truck:
    92 pickup
    wow toytruck, ive had your website bookmarked for years now. Has LCE contacted you at all since that letter? Would you even use the motor if they gave you one?

5. F1000X

F1000X Member

Why not drop in a carbed small block chevy? The components to do it are all easily sourced, and it would be reliable. Personally I find myself drawn to the carb'd V8 swaps because of their simplicity. Have the carb tuned right, and you'd be all set.

6. toytruck

toytruck Newbie

No, they haven't called me since the letter. They have my phone number and could even calll me if they want.

If they gave me a motor I wouldn't use it. Simply because I'm happy with the motor I have now. I'd like to have the larger displacement, dual row timing chain and over sized ss valves but it wouldn't be worth the work. My rebuild is running great and there is no reason to introduce any risk. I drive deep into Mexico a lot so reliability is the most important factor to me. I got lucky when the LC motor blew up because I was only about 10 miles from my mechanic. I'd sell the motor

I live in California and a smog test is required every 2 years. It's a major pain just passing the visual test after you install a header, K&N intake and new exhaust. I've got all the exemption stickers and I've had smog shops refuse to even test it. The state just started implementing technology that can read the emissions of every car driving by it. They're on to people swapping out parts every two years and they get you driving down the street. A motor swap and carbs aren't really an option for me.

7. skip

skip Enthusiast

Truck:
    1992 std cab, 1986 std cab
    damn that the first thing bad i have heard about LC.

8. DietoRemain

DietoRemain Member

Ha I have a K&N and a doug thorley header.. not to mention a loud raspy exhaust. I better find a good smog shop this coming summer.. and yes my header is smog legal they are actually made in corona like 20 mins. away@

9. lownloud

lownloud Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1987 Toyota 2wd JT4RN50 Airbagged custom
    that sucks a-s !

Not that I really have to worry about it . . . but, dayyum, Im glad I live somewhere where emmisions testing is far, far away ! Its funny how they push buying newer products and technologies on the newer cars/trucks & limit individual freedoms of expressing yourself in how you live and what you like to do with our " old junk " ! ! ! " HMMM ! "

10. MTB68TOY

MTB68TOY Addict

Truck:
    93-2wd 2.5/3drop, 87-4wd22RTE, 06GTOls2, 08FJCruiserTT(Daily)
    funny thing is the "new" stuff is the junk!
    I won't own a toyota truck made after 93... thats when they came state side and were no longer built in japan... :eek:

11. F1000X

F1000X Member

I knew I made the right decision buying this thing. I KNEW IT.