Difference in frames?

Discussion in 'Suspension/Chassis' started by AirplaneMode, Jan 27, 2018.

1. AirplaneMode

AirplaneMode Newbie

Hey guys, recently picked up a '78 short bed and I'm making big plans for it. I want to swap in a Toyota 2rz or 3rz motor by using the motor mount adapter brackets from Chilkat Designs. Their website lists the brackets for 1979 and newer Toyota's, again mine's a 78. I spoke with Chilkat and they told me that it should fit, but it really comes down to the difference between the frames.

Does anybody know if there's any difference between the frame/engine bay of a 1978 and a 1979 Toyota pickup?

Thanks for any help guys.

2. YOguyDA

YOguyDA Addict

Truck:
    1986 Regular Cab
    They're probably referring to the motor mounts on the frame.

If you have a 20r/22r, the mounts should bolt right up.

Because the 20r/22r wasn't the only power plant in the pre '79 trucks, they can't make the statement that they will work for pre '79 trucks...make sense?

3. YOguyDA

YOguyDA Addict

Truck:
    1986 Regular Cab
    Unless the coil spring suspension/crossmember cause fitment issues on the pre '79's?

Idk.

Sounds like chillkat is saying, if you have a 20r the mounts will work, but they don't know if the fitment will be the same because they changed front suspension in '79.

I would opt for fabbing your own custom mounts, so the fitment is as good as you can get it.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2018
  4. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    Previous gen Hilux had a different frame width with the 18r than with the 20r when they made the change for the 1975+.

Because the block for the 20r and the 22r/re is basically the same, I'd imagine that using the Chillkat mounts should work because in theory everything had to be similar to fit the engine, but who knows, not enough online documentation of people trying all these swaps into our older trucks. Perhaps Chillkat will let you return the mounts if they don't fit, so they know for business purposes if it fits the other truck model.

Aside from the difference of having coils vs torsion bar suspension, there is also the difference of the pre-79 trucks having a subframe/engine cradle whereas the 79+ pickup did not have this.

Looking forward to seeing all the info about this swap as I'd love to do a swap on my 75 someday. If the 2rz/3rz is an option to install without chassis modification I'm all ears. Otherwise I'm leaning toward the all-out approach of chopping off my chassis to adapt the engine/suspension cradle off a donor vehicle so I get additional upgrades, such as power steering, ABS brakes, etc.

AirplaneMode likes this.
  5. RG113

RG113 Member

Truck:
    78 Hilux RV
    Reviving this thread, was it ever determined that the 3rz chillkat mounts will work in the '78 that has a 20r?

6. David Eidson

David Eidson Member

While the 1978 and 1979 Toyota pickups share many similarities, minor variations in frame dimensions and engine bay configurations could exist. The best way to confirm compatibility is to measure key points in both vehicles' engine bays and compare them. Focus on critical areas like motor mount locations and overall frame dimensions. Additionally, consulting Toyota truck forums or seeking advice from experienced builders who have tackled similar engine swaps can provide valuable insights into any nuanced differences between the two model years. Precise measurements and community feedback will guide a successful Toyota 2rz or 3rz motor swap into your '78 short bed.