did a tune up, now only 20 mpg on 22re. whats up?

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by moneyhungry, Feb 15, 2008.

1. moneyhungry

moneyhungry Enthusiast

Truck:
    93 Yoda.
    what the hell does seafoaming mean? sorry, not tryin to be rude, just never heard of it before. its running better now. i think im getting about 22mpg. next week im gettin new tires, and hopefully some time next month intake and exhaust. all comes down to the all-mighty dollar.

2. ChOpPeD~N~DROPped

ChOpPeD~N~DROPped Enthusiast

Truck:
    94 Extended cab
    I think it's a brand of engine cleaner or something.

3. 93Toy2wd

93Toy2wd Newbie

Truck:
    1993 toyota 2 wd
    Sea foam eats your gaskets.

4. lownloud

lownloud Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1987 Toyota 2wd JT4RN50 Airbagged custom
    Another GREAT product that Ive used religiously since I first started wrenching/driving is Marvel Mystery Oil, this stuff is great and its benefits are worth its weigh in gold. Its helped me with cleaner fuel lines, spotless carbs, Cleaner top ends and my personal best 4 miles to the gallon on an old Chevy 350 salvaged outta a rolled and forgotten suburban that I ended up putting 200,000 more miles on without a hitch. No gimicks, No eating of seals and empty promises. This stuff has always worked for me . . .

5. 93Toy2wd

93Toy2wd Newbie

Truck:
    1993 toyota 2 wd
    You must of been one of the lucky ones outta 10,000 lol

TCC and Sea Foam are both de-carboning agents, and their main use is the removal of carbon deposits in both the intake tract and the cylinders' themselves. Some of the carbon deposits in the engine can actually be clogging up holes that you aren't aware of, There for on high milage engines, it can cause leaks and Eat away at older gaskets.

some of the members with high mileage on their engines i read had encounters with head gasket failiure after using seafoam.

My brother in law used Sea foam on his 94 accord, Be cuase the guy at "autozone" said it was a good tune-up. His accord ran Just fine, Good compression, Passes leak down. 182k though. About 3 weeks after using sea foam the front and rear crank seals are leaking and he was getting in the 220 Temp. I did a few test's and the head gasket failed... What are the odd's?

i cannot comment on that with personal experience as i have never used sea foam and do not plan to. I stand of the opinion that using a quality motor oil and filter, when changed at regular and normal intervals, will do fine.

if i had to do a carbon cleanup, i know i would just use it in the intake end of the equation and not in the oil. i cant see how changing the oil shortly after using it will ensure that all of it is removed.

If nothing is wrong with it, Leave it alone.

6. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    The 22RE has to come above 190 degrees to come out of cold start, if does not it will run rich ,& burn out the cat! Along with with bad mileage,not passing smog & oy possible other engine damage.:cool:

7. 93Toy2wd

93Toy2wd Newbie

Truck:
    1993 toyota 2 wd
    Burn out the Cat huh ?:rolleyes: Cat's get Clogged way before they ever "burn out" A bad o2 sensor will cause you to run rich and get bad miles per gallon.

If you have a good running 22RE it should Never get hotter than 182-190 degree's. That's what a Thermostat is for. I never heard of it having to "come above 190 to come out of a cold start" On a cold start, you should wait till its at least 120-130 to leave your house. It should never go above 190 though. That's another ball game of Bad leak down,fowled plugs,milky white smoke, IE the head gasket going south.

:cool:

8. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    The cold start temp. info came from a local Toyota guru, when I first put my engine in.Local dealer didn't know why, so contacted the Yota Man,this guy worked for Toyota for 20+ years, now builds rock crawlers. Brand new thermostat, failed,won't pass smog,thermostat stuck open,engine stayed in cold start & I destroyed the new cat. :cool:

9. 93Toy2wd

93Toy2wd Newbie

Truck:
    1993 toyota 2 wd
    Ive been working on toyota's for 10 years. I have a degree from Wyotech and i have never heard of a cat being destroyed from temp change... Cat's only go bad when they are old and rusted out or the comb becomes deformed blocking flow. It's pretty much Impossible to Destroy a brand new cat within 2 years of use. Do you even know what the inside of a cat looks like? Cat's are only for the use of Emissions in some states for low smog and Back pressure. So far you are 0 for 2.

I build "Rock crawler's" too.