Desmogging, but keeping Aisin carb

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by Skipper64, Jan 24, 2015.

1. Skipper64

Skipper64 Newbie

Truck:
    1982 Standard Shortbed
    My truck is considered a "classic" in our state and is exempt from smog laws. I am going to desmog it but not change the stock Aisin carb out because it works perfectly. Has anyone done this? Likes/dislikes, opinions?

Thanks

'82 short bed 22R

2. tinnian

tinnian Newbie

Truck:
    75 ratted out No-Lux
    Hey Skipper. I have a '75 that I use as a daily, 20R, desmogged and I'm running the factory Aisin carb. It does fine for me for the most part. Bear in mind that I pulled my truck out from behind a barn where it had sat for a couple of years so it is a bit finicky. Also, this is my first project in about 20 years. I am learning that I got VERY rusty in that time.

I have driven this thing from the San Antonio area (I live in one of the millions of little towns outside of San Antonio) to Fort Polk, La when my brother got back from the sandbox and it did mostly fine. I think a 5 speed swap would have cured most of the issues I had with that trip, nothing to do with the carb. However, a Weber transplant is on the "to-do" list.

In all seriousness, I really don't think that it would hurt anything by doing yours either. Just my ought-two. Someone with a bit more experience might have better advice though.

3. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    In my 80 with a 20r we did it, just figure out which vacuum port gives f constant vacuum for the vacuum advance..