Dead in the driveway.

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by Scomber, Jun 1, 2015.

1. Scomber

Scomber Enthusiast

I went to run an errand and my truck stalled a few hundred yards from home on a small hill. It lost power suddenly. It caught for a spark or two when I tried to re-start, but won't do any more. I managed to roll backward to where I could get it off the road and my neighbor towed me home. I seem to have some fuel pressure when I loosened the cold start banjo, but the whole thing feels like a fuel supply issue. Yes, there's a quarter tank of gas.

Sound like the fuel pump?

2. YOguyDA

YOguyDA Addict

Truck:
    1986 Regular Cab
    Can you see fuel in the float bowl (through the viewing window)?

Will it start and run off of carb cleaner/ starting fluid?

3. Scomber

Scomber Enthusiast

4. Animalguy

Animalguy Member

Truck:
    1985 Extended Cab 2WD SR5
    When I got my truck it had been parked for 10 years, the trap door was a little wonky and would shut off for a few seconds every now an then, i hit it wih some lube and it been fine since.

5. Scomber

Scomber Enthusiast

Trap door???

You guys understand that a 22RE is fuel injected, and the pump is in the tank, right?

6. Animalguy

Animalguy Member

Truck:
    The trap door thing is in the air inlet attached to the air box, when it shuts it kills the in tank electric pump

7. aaron_sk

aaron_sk Enthusiast

Truck:
    '94 Regular cab
    The term is mass air sensor or air flow meter. :)

@Scomber: I agree that it sounds like a fuel pump, but further diagnosis is needed.

Confirm lack of fuel with starting fluid, as YodaGuy said.
    Confirm injector pulsing with a noid light.
    Work from there.

8. Scomber

Scomber Enthusiast

Aaron, thanks for the translation. :)

When it died my foot was on the gas going up that hill and it was running normally, then it wasn't. So the MAF would have had to swing shut suddenly for no reason while running with a load. That makes no sense, so I'm going to rule that out.

I don't have a noid light, and I can't see why all four would suddenly got bad all at once. I replaced them with cleaned ones a few years ago, and they've run well. I'm going to rule that out too.

I had a brand new can of starter fluid around here somewhere. Dunno where that is either.

I also don't have a fuel system pressure gauge system. I may just call the man with the roll-back truck to haul Pablo off and look him over. Pablo is my daily driver, so I don't have time to tinker.

9. Scomber

Scomber Enthusiast

And this morning Pablo started right up. Don't you love intermittent faults?

10. Animalguy

Animalguy Member

Truck:
    Mine would die on the freeway at 80mph, If I waited a couple seconds and kept it in gear it would catch and continue to run.

11. YOguyDA

YOguyDA Addict

Truck:
    1986 Regular Cab
    In that case...any codes to pull?

12. aaron_sk

aaron_sk Enthusiast

Truck:
    '94 Regular cab
    My first thought on seeing a vehicle stall hot and restart cold is an ignition failure due to heatsoak. There are a few other things that it could be, but that would seem the most likely.

Also, it's always a good idea to throw a noid light on if you suspect a fueling issue. While you're correct that all the injectors wouldn't die at once, it helps diagnose issues like the ECM not grounding the injectors, a short in the injector harness, ect.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
  13. Animalguy

Animalguy Member

Truck:
    My fuel pressure regulator was stuck shut when i first fired up my truck, the pump would heat up and turn off, it would take about 15-20 mins to start back up. I figured it out when i touched the fuel rail and it was hot. Took a banjo bolt and drilled it through the top, soldered a nipple on the end and used it in the place of the cold start on the manifold, it was at 85 psi! New regulator brought it down to 40 and no hot fuel.

14. tacobo670

tacobo670 Addict

Truck:
    94 Base
    85 PSI??!! HOLY BACONBITS BATMAN!!
    jeez thats high.

...i wouldnt rule out ecu overheat/failure or same for the ignitor/coil. i think thats whats happening to my truck. it will run super cherry, but when it gets close to operating temp/hot/ or been driving for a while..... then get to a stop light, it feels like it misfires. it idles super low and its as if it wants to die.

im too lazy to diag it, now that i have a second vehicle. maybe ill just fab up a heat sink for the ign/coil. i seen someone do it on here once, cant find it now.