Dash Pad rebuild..Pics inside

Discussion in 'Interior/Electronics' started by 22R88, Sep 15, 2012.

1. 22R88

22R88 Veteran

Truck:
    1988 Reg Cab Deluxe RN50
    Original grey pad had a small crack develop, tried patch repair a few times, didn't like it and crack slowly spread. Bought a dash cover, installed and looks ok, but creaks from expansion/contraction and edge near cluster has gap or hits with temp change so, I recently bought a used slightly cracked pad and tried to recover it with grained vinyl. Pic are of the prototype. I am going to remove it and redo again as I have learned a few things. If anyone is interested I will detail what I did and what I will do to try and improve the quaility.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. scrub88

scrub88 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 toy short bed
    That looks nice got me thinking I need to do that

3. 22R88

22R88 Veteran

Truck:
    1988 Reg Cab Deluxe RN50
    Thanks Scrub88. Not as bad as I thought to get it to this level.

4. Lowtide671

Lowtide671 Enthusiast

Truck:
    88' single cab 2wd
    I worked in a custom stereo shop for a little while, I'm not to sure what vinal your using but, if your heat it slightly it will stretch can contour to that dash.
    Just a suggestion but heres how I would try it:
    First cut your vinal to shape
    The clean all contacting surfaces with rubbing alcohol(on the dash not the vinal)
    Spray the dash with fabric glue
    Spray contact fabric glue on rear of vinal( you can find this at and upholstery shop or fabric section of Walmart)
    Now allow the stray to dry to a tacky texture
    Heat the entire section of vinal (careful not to burn)
    Apply it now to your dash section and contour.

The areas with higher curves will requie a bit more heat, try using a spoon to get those heavy angles.
    Well hope this helps, im doing the same thing to my truck and I'll do a complete write up on it with many pictures. Best of luck my friend!!

5. 22R88

22R88 Veteran

Truck:
    1988 Reg Cab Deluxe RN50
    Lowtide671, I am using some vinyl I bought from a Fabric Store In Baton Rouge, LA. It is called Lexus Black so I figured I couldn't go wrong ??? I used Contact Cement and glued the top in place first and let it set overnight, then I Did the front where the vents are, then later that day I did the small side near where the door would be. The only issues I have is that I didn't smooth the "tray" area enough when I bondo - ed it. I will fix that. The other thing is that small corner I had all the excess material( think like gift wrapping) I didn't want to cut it, so I tucked it in and heated it almost flat. Maybe this time I will try and heat and stretch that area for a better fit. I also have some 3M spray adhesive I think that I will use in the next phase, Really except for the small corner and I cut the vent hole opening to big I really would have no issue using it. I appreciate the suggestions.

22R88

6. scrub88

scrub88 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 toy short bed
    I found some simulated leather at a fabric store my dash is died black but lacking the feel of fabric might try to do my pillars as well and my door panels .may be time to remove this black tweed on my doors