daily driver 1971 hilux

Discussion in 'Pre-1975 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by williyumz, Jul 4, 2012.

1. williyumz

williyumz Enthusiast

yeah the shocks up front are still stock, i also remove the bump stop on the lower control arm, if you go a little lower, you would want to get the 67-69 camaro fronts cause they are shorter.

in the typical 69-78 coil setup it seems like the long coil binds up quite a bit, so i wouldn't cut the coils too much as there wont be much room for the coils to compress. i'm thinking about coilovers pretty soon with heavier springs. there is also the mighty max coil route too.

2. williyumz

williyumz Enthusiast

I finally made a little progress

First I swapped out the rear 1 ton(6 leaf) for 1/2 ton(3 leaf). With the 1/2 ton leaf, I noticed that the truck got lower about 1-2inches. The lower shock location also came up closer to the frame by about 4 inches due to 3 less leaf and less arch from the leaf. With the decrease in shock length, my shocks came close to bottoming out position. (I eventually had my rear bilsteins shortened 2 inches)

I bought these bilsteins at a steal 37.00 each, they are not bolt on but have typically the same design for what I needed. I needed to switch around bushings and modify the front t bars for fitment.

The front, F4-BE3-E249-M0, Collapsed Length (IN): 8.73, Extended Length (IN): 13.46
    The rear, F4-BE5-E250-M0, Collapsed Length (IN): 13.11, Extended Length (IN): 20.28(modified to 18.28)
    [​IMG]

For now I will be using the shocks as a regular application, but I have already prepped them ready for coilover in the future. The mods include grooving all shocks to accept bilstein snap rings to support 2.5 coilover sleeves.
    [​IMG]

On this close up photo, you can see i had a adapter made to have the 36mm front shocks accept 2.5in sleeves. The spring I will use in the future are QA1 2.5 to 3.5 coilover springs found in mustang II applications.
    [​IMG]

Later plans, once I get my welder back from my uncle, I will brace a better front lower shock mount to support the weight of the car, and also build up a 3 or 4 link rear suspension so I could use the rear coilover setup.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
    driftwhat likes this.
  3. williyumz

williyumz Enthusiast

Oh and by the way, the bilsteins rock, there isnt much body roll as before, I can pretty much coast through corners, but that just reminds me, I need new tires.

4. kmghawaii

kmghawaii Enthusiast

Truck:
    1969 Hilux
    that coil setup is sick!!!

5. williyumz

williyumz Enthusiast

6. williyumz

williyumz Enthusiast

well...here is a mod that I did not mention before. Its an alternator upgrade that i did awhile back on the truck.

This alternator upgrade uses a 93-97 jaguar xj6 120a denso unit which is bolt on into the 22r motor. I just modded the stock 8rc bracket to accept the alternator and repin the pigtails. Cheap and easy for me to run my 15s :)

[​IMG]

I used the stock bracket and built on top of that.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

belt number from napa 257340

More info about the mod:
    120amp Jaguar Alternator Upgrade **HOW TOO** - YotaTech Forums

7. williyumz

williyumz Enthusiast

finally got new wheels and tires,
    found some enkei 15x7 20+ for 100 on craigs.
    tires are 205/60-15 ohtsu fp6000(rebadge ze-512)

[​IMG]

driftwhat likes this.
  8. williyumz

williyumz Enthusiast

feel like dropping it some more haha, also feels good to join the enkei mesh club

9. CodyX36

CodyX36 Enthusiast

Truck:
    '72 RN14
    Love the black mesh with that color truck, elpatronortiz and you look pretty identical now lol. Any pictures of the coilovers installed?

10. Turbo Blow Through

Turbo Blow Through Addict

Truck:
    87 hilux
    Bump for installed coil overs

11. williyumz

williyumz Enthusiast

Coilovers aren't installed yet, I have been quite busy with things at moment not having the time or funds to do the install, I will definitey update when I install the coilovers and along with other things that may come along.

12. Sharwk

Sharwk Member

Truck:
    1975 HiLux
    Nice truck...

13. williyumz

williyumz Enthusiast

Thanks Sharwk

14. williyumz

williyumz Enthusiast

Took me awhile to post up updates but here it is.

Swap started December 10 and ended 23. The motor is a 85 celica mid sump 22re.

Here I have everything ready to take on the swap.
    [​IMG]

Removed the old 8rc and fitted the 22re. The oil pan and lower radiator cross pipe pretty much sat on the crossmember so I needed to knotch it to clear.
    [​IMG]

Pulled out the lower subframe so I could work on the crossmember and cut off old motor mounts.
    [​IMG]

Fabbed up the motor mounts with sleeved bushings from ruffstuffspecialties in Loomis, Ca.
    [​IMG]

Motor is mounted solidly with poly mounts
    [​IMG]

Made a afm mount/adapter.
    [​IMG]

Motor now sits in assembled, the wiring was a piece of cake as I know all the wires from the back of my head, just needed to run two relays(one for circuit open relay and igniter), I also had to make a u-bend for the intank because I have minimal clearance, I installed a electric fan also due to clearance issues also along with a thermo probe fan controller.
    [​IMG]

Engine has approximately 500 mile since dec 23 completion, I must say it runs way better than the old 8rc I had in before.

15. lopez286

lopez286 Member

looks good, that's quite a Toyota collection you got there:clapping:

16. williyumz

williyumz Enthusiast

Here I prefabbed a fan shroud for the radiator in hopes for faster cooling, I did space the panel out about 1/4in for airflow, with the shroud in place, the fan is mounted in more sturdy, the universal fan zip ties are just plain bogus and will rub a radiator to death over time.
    [​IMG]

Finally took the time or attempt to patch up the floors, I'm currently working on passenger side first,
    Pretty ugly right?
    [​IMG]

17. williyumz

williyumz Enthusiast

Here is a 25mm front sway bar upgrade that I've done, the s10 2wd 82+ sway bars are similar in dimensions to our 69-78 hilux sway bar, addco makes a 7/8 bar but I decided to go cheap and use a 1in bar. Some modifications are needed for the front mounts, what I did was completely remove the old front hangers and added an extender to mount the s10 sway bar. The end links bolt up the same. Have in mind that later 2wd s10 do come with 28mm, 29mm, and 33mm bar options. I feel that that 25mm is plenty for a light truck like mines.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  18. williyumz

williyumz Enthusiast

I have not yet tested the car for the upgraded sway bar due to still having to work on the floors, but I hope it helps take some of the body roll away.

19. standardbyker88

standardbyker88 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    78 lolux and an 89 ramcharger
    Damn fine work bud! I never liked the stock mounts. I hoped I find another bar with similar shape and width that is thicker but you beat me to it. Does it mount up front on the s10 like that or behind the arms? Explorer parts work for a rear bar to bolt on with some frame holes/brackets for the end links.

20. williyumz

williyumz Enthusiast

@standardbyker88, on the s10, it mounts in front of the arms, I've yet to do a rear bar, thanks for the info on the explorer though, I might do the rear when I change over to 4 link.

Here's info on the s10 bars
    Sway Bar Information - S-10 Forum