Coil Wiring ( 1974 ) -- Is This Correct???

Discussion in 'Interior/Electronics' started by Lostandconfused, Oct 14, 2010.

1. Lostandconfused

Lostandconfused Member

Hey All!

Finally getting the wiring done on my 1974 SR5.
    I think I have brought it back from the grave.

Need to make sure the coil is wired correctly.
    ____ Picture Number One____

I've looked in my Haynes Manual, but it doesn't go into enough detail.

Here's what I have:

Resistor ( on top of the coil ):
    ____ Picture Number Two ____

----> Black wire w/ yellow stripe
    ----> Blue wire ( from condenser )

Positive Post on Coil:
    ____ Picture Number Four ____

----> Red (from resistor )
    ----> Black wire w/red stripe

Negative Post on Coil:
    ____ Picture Number Three ____

----> Black Wire

Unknown Wire
    ----> Black wire w/ yellow stripe
    ( This wire has a round head with a hole in the center. This round head with the hole in the center will NOT fit onto either of the coil posts. )

The only place I can place the two round-headed wires that fit snuggly with the current hole size in on the resistor posts. The other wires have "C"-Shapes claws that seem to fit well over the positive and negative coil posts.

I'm close on this one, folks! Any and all help is appreciated. As I said, I have looked at the Haynes wiring diagram, and the book doesn't go into detail about wiring on the coil.

I have a headache. Been arguing for the last hour with an ex-girlfriend. Will write more after heachach passes.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Lostandconfused

Lostandconfused Member

Okay, I'm 90% sure I have figured this out.

( Disclaimer : This is what I think is the correct wiring for the 1974 Toyota pickup. I'm not sure; that's why I'm posting here in the forum. The wiring changes from 1973 to 1974 models. It changes AGAIN from 1974 to 1975 models. This what I believe to be correct, but that may not be the case. Caveat Emptor. See an experienced mechanic for assurances. )

I went to the dealership for wiring diagrams and some experienced wrench jockeys. None were to be had. The truck is too old for their shops and expertises. So I went out to Kragens and looked at an updated Chilton's Guide. Nothing.

Went back to an old Haynes Guide I got at the junkyard that was written in the mid-tolate 1970's, and I started to review the pages best I could. It seems like the guide was written by someone whose primary language is NOT English. Certain words just don't fit right within American English. So it took sometime to deduce what was being written.

I came across a diagram for the igition system. Unfortunately, NONE of the wires are marked with referencing color codes. There's even an INVISIBLE LINE (!!) that describes the 1974 Toyota wiring that I needed, but does not mention anything about it in the adjacent text or in the diagram.

Anyway, it seperate the Igintion Assay ( referenced as IGNITER ) into three wires. Then it shows the wiring from the ignition switch. From the diagram drawing and then looking at my 1974 truck ( Sorry for redundancy, but I want people to know the difference ), I think the wiring to the coil is:

Positive ( + ) coil post:
    ---> Black with red stripe ( Has a wide C-shaped hook attachment at end of the wire )
    ---> Red wire from resistor attached above coil ( Hard wired to resistor; no nut )

Negative ( - ) coil post:
    ---> Black ( Soild black; no stripe, just black )
    ( This originates from the igniter Assay attached to the side of the engine compartment on the drivers side )

Resistor ( Above the coil )

---> Black wire with yellow stripe
    ( originates from the same wiring harness branch at the black with red stripe branch. This has a complete, round-eyed hole whose hole is too small to fit on the coil but does fit onto the post on the resisitor. )

---> Blue condensor wire
    ( Has crescent moon end that also fits on the only post on the resistor. This one wire has me leery ... Not sure... Don't have one for comparison for this model.... )

---> Black wire with yellow stripe
    ( originates from the igniter assay. This has a complete, round-eyed hole whose hole is too small to fit on the coil but does fit onto the post on the resisitor. )

And that's it. To the best of my knowledge, this is correct. I put this out here for discussion and review. Everyone here has far, far more experience than I in these matters.

The greater detail is for those like myself who have limited experience and/or may have the 1974 model year. Any and all input and feedback is appreciated.