CLSTRFCK - valves and ignition timing

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by IronNam, Nov 4, 2012.

1. IronNam

IronNam Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 XCab
    I've lashed it myself before and never caught that :( but it runs fine? It's set similar to when i first found it this weekend.

I had both #1 and #3 both on closed valve and i pulled the adjuster screws out for both. #1 (normal) has a bunch of slack without the screw, that's normal. #3 has that tiny bit of play. It's freaking weird.

How do i know if valve head/ shaft is stretch and that the valve seat is damaged?

I've been driving on this for a long time, if I'm right. holy ****...
    I've been getting roughly 20-25 mpg depending how i drive each tank, considering I have a W58 with 3.41's on 265/35/18's. :( mystery dude...

2. Malessohomegrown

Malessohomegrown Toyotaholic

Truck:
    87Hilux,92Hilux reg,914x4 HiluxEC
    Do a compression test it would tell you if the valve or seat was damaged.

3. ShoNuff

ShoNuff Toyotaholic

Truck:
    75 hilux, 80 4x4

^^^this

also you can measure from the head to the top of the spring and compare against the other intake springs.

but ya sounds like you have bad valve/seat isssue.

the balancer pully slipping happens often on older "newer" motors, get a new one at napa pretty cheap.

only other thing i could think of is if the dowel pin came out of the cam, seen it happen before. backed out of the cam into the dizzy sprocket so the timing gear would spin on the cam with the crank and it could of bent the valves but we caught it, timing changed every time it turned over.

4. B.Y.E.

B.Y.E. Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1982 2wd Hilux
    Damn Nam, hate to say it but the head definitely has to come off... First look at the valve spring height in the video you can see the stretch in the valve...

5. tacobo670

tacobo670 Addict

Truck:
    94 Base
    a compression test WILL NOT ALWAYS show if there is a bad valve, u mite wanna do a cylinder leak down test to absolutely verify if it is a valve problem.

....we just seen a corolla in the shop -had good compression (on compression test) but valve was hanging open (on cylinder leak down test). it seems u would have good compression when engine is running.

theory is -the firing of the cylinder will force the valve back up n slam the valve shut into the seat =good comression. whether it be firing or not, the air pressure of the piston moving will shut the valve. if there is no "forced air" in the cylinder , if the valve is not seated properly, air will leak past the valve.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  6. tacobo670

tacobo670 Addict

Truck:
    94 Base
    if the dowel backed out of the cam, n the cam gear spun =cam didnt spin = wouldnt u have more than one bad valve...??

7. IronNam

IronNam Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 XCab
    engnbldr thinks it could've been the valve head/ seat is being recessed into the head. I might have to shell out half a grand for a new head...

8. B.Y.E.

B.Y.E. Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1982 2wd Hilux
    I have 2 good used heads that just need cleaning... When I say cleaning, meaning new valve seals, light valve grind and resurface deck may be needed... I can clean it up for you instead of shelling out half a grand for a new one... Which by the way may be made in china! Lol! Let me know...

9. Malessohomegrown

Malessohomegrown Toyotaholic

Truck:
    87Hilux,92Hilux reg,914x4 HiluxEC
    Pulling the head should answer all your questions.

10. tacobo670

tacobo670 Addict

Truck:
    94 Base
    ^^^^^^ yup.

dont count urself out. if its just the seat n not the valve -u can take it to a machine shop n they can put in a new seat. prob for around $200 im assuming. from my knowledge, just to inspect, deck, full head job is about 150 so.... pending removal of head to see extent of damage, no sense starting to dig a grave for that head u got.