Clicking on start

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by Chikn Hawk, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Chikn Hawk

Chikn Hawk Member

Truck:
    94' X-Cab Toy Lux
    This is probably an easy guess but I wanna make sure. My 90 Toy had not been started for some time. Bin working on this truck from time to time since I got it from my bro. I've changed the alternator, battery and even replaceed the battery terminals. I had got the truck to start before but with some difficulties. Now when I try to start it I'm having the issue of the clicking noise. It wont start. Im sure there's a battery issue. Whats your opinion & how long does it take for a new battery before battery juice(cells) start dying out? Hmmmmmm.........:thinking:

2. Malessohomegrown

Malessohomegrown Toyotaholic

Truck:
    87Hilux,92Hilux reg,914x4 HiluxEC
    could be batt could be starter. Try a for sure good batt if that don't work tap on the starter while trying to start it(two man job).

3. Litneon

Litneon Super Moderator Staff Member

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    It sounds to me like a bad battery. If there's any type of discharge on the battery while it's in storage and it goes dead and stays that way for any length of time, it will probably not recharge fully. Once recharged, it may read full voltage, but under load it'll fall on it's face. You can try to verify this by using a meter across the battery terminals, if it drops below 9 or 10 volts under cranking, you may need a new battery.

4. 1lowSr5

1lowSr5 Addict

Truck:
    90' xtra cab Sr5, 2003 taco
    try checking your grounds sometimes a loose ground will not allow the proper voltage.

5. dillinja666

dillinja666 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    I gots no truck, for now
    Also ohm the resistance of the positive wire going to the starter, I've seen those corroded to all heck and drop the voltage so much to the starter that even a new battery can't push enough juice to it to make the starter start the truck.

6. scrub88

scrub88 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 toy short bed
    Had same problem ended up being my battery in the same way litneon described Just a a dead battery on the inside

7. Litneon

Litneon Super Moderator Staff Member

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    But, the corrosion can be a big issue too. Or even just a loose battery cable connection.

8. burnzya

burnzya Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    bodied 73 hilux
    i've had the same problem on my 4x4 and the battery and starter where fine. Gary (truck action) gave me the fix using a ford starter solonoid.

basically the starter trigger wire gets old and weak, and you use the solonoid to give it a full 12 volts. never had a problem with it clicking again

9. Chikn Hawk

Chikn Hawk Member

Truck:
    94' X-Cab Toy Lux
    NICE responses and quick too!! Turns out that the battery just needed some juice. Simple work with a charger and now its back to its normal self. People like myself need to understand to disconnect the terminal(+) when the vehicle is not in use for awhile. LOL! Thanks everyone!!

10. 1lowSr5

1lowSr5 Addict

Truck:
    90' xtra cab Sr5, 2003 taco
    :waytogo: glad you got it fixed :waytogo:

11. kingtoy

kingtoy Enthusiast

Truck:
    1993 Toyota std cab, 1977 Hilux
    I have heard of this fix before. I have gone through several starters thinking they were bad. Is there a way you can diagram it or PM me a detail copy of what I have to do?

12. kingtacoma951

kingtacoma951 Addict

Truck:
    88 SR5 Xtra Cab
    This happend to me yesterday...just a click click wouldn't start....it was really cold outside tho gotta check it out today