CHG light/ Fuel Level Gauge 1979 Pickup.

Discussion in 'Interior/Electronics' started by xopher8713, Feb 5, 2013.

1. xopher8713

xopher8713 Member

Truck:
    1979 Toyota Pickup
    So the other day I was driving to work and the CHG light comes on. Fortunately for me, I work at an auto parts store. I tested the alternator and the battery, both are fine. I am getting enough voltage at the battery that I am getting from the alternator, so wiring is good (at least in that area). The other issue which could be related, is the fuel level gauge. It was working fine until one day it told me that I was out of gas, this was odd to me having not driven that much, so I went to put fuel in. $10 later its full. So the fuel gauge has stopped working. Any thoughts on where to start with this issue?

2. xopher8713

xopher8713 Member

Truck:
    1979 Toyota Pickup
    anyone have insight into this?

3. jenniferjohansoon

jenniferjohansoon Newbie

I have an '82 with the auto trans. With the lights off, when I step on the brake, the dash lights come on, in addition to the front parking light. Is this a poor ground? Any things to check first off? Thanks for your help!

4. eighty_D

eighty_D Member

Truck:
    '79 SR5 2wd lwb
    Possibly a bad ground or corroded connection causing high resistance and making the charge light come on. check the wire from the battery to the alternator and the positive terminal of the battery and make sure the connections are tight and clean and the sheathing isn't damaged shorting it against something. My fuel gauge has never worked since I've owned mine and it turns out the float in the tank filled with fuel and sank.

5. eighty_D

eighty_D Member

Truck:
    '79 SR5 2wd lwb
    Check for crossed wires in or near the relay box and brake switch on the pedal arm. sounds like a short circuit on the positive side. Also is yours wired for trailer lights? could be a possible source.

6. Salty

Salty Enthusiast

my 79 did the exact same thing and without noticing it the buzzer sound that comes on when you put the keys in also quit at the same time... i replaced my battery terminals, checked for bad grounds, then gave up. ive heard that the cause is a bad ground wire somewhere... if you search this site you will find some threads with that information...

then one day after a rain, i got in put the keys in and the buzzing started, i start the truck and the charge light is off and my gas gauge is working... i have no idea what caused the fix but to this day everything is working...

good luck.