cheap way to recarpet interior

Discussion in 'Interior/Electronics' started by JOE_1985, Apr 6, 2009.

1. JOE_1985

JOE_1985 Veteran

Truck:
    87 custom
    ill post pics when i find my cam which is missing atm.

also when i got this truck it had no carpet or vinal just a bare metal floor

anyho

i had a giant square peice of gray indoor/outdoor carpet that i got from a carpet place for 30 bucks

today i went to put it in and thought, now would be a good time for insulation. so i went back to the same place and the guy gave me that greenish looking foam house insulation, didnt measure it but i could tell it was more than enough, plus this made things easier.

i ended up using the foam as a templet. I put the big foam pad in and cut it so that it sat on the floor well then cut te carpet so id be a lil bigger than the foam so i could trim it.

ill probally do the same to the rear "wall" of the truck to that the whole thing is insulated well which will be good for my audio system im putting togather and my ice cold a/c

2. 88Sandshark

88Sandshark Toyotaholic

Truck:
    Should have kept... '88 4x4 22RE
    Sounds like a good idea. I've got the ridiculous vinyl flooring and want to replace it with carpet. My aunt and uncle's auto parts store gave me a discounted price quote for pre-formed @ $117. I may want to go for some of the roll of carpet they sell at the Wal Mart here and do the same, to broke to do otherwise.

3. JOE_1985

JOE_1985 Veteran

Truck:
    87 custom
    i have a roll of that walmart stuff, its junk, just go ask around carpet stores for extra peices they have

oh btw ive seen the preformed stuff for 100-130 shipped on ebay

4. 88Sandshark

88Sandshark Toyotaholic

Truck:
    Should have kept... '88 4x4 22RE
    My girlfriend's dad used that to make a custom trunk set up for their Baja Beetle and it turned out very nice, and had a decent texture to it too.

He fabricated a way to mount a small tool box, an ice chest and a quart of oil in it.

5. JOE_1985

JOE_1985 Veteran

Truck:
    87 custom
    thats cool.

the stuff from walmart will work, it just felt too thin for my taste although the roll i have laying around, i have debated doing the door skins with it and if i have enough redo the 6x9 boxes.

the reason i went with the house carpet and insulation is because the cab is going to be quieter and ill hear less road noise, plus with the foam pad and thick/low pile carpet its good for sound quality as well

now all this left is to cut small slits or holes for the bolts of my celica seats and seat belts.

then get a vdp center console and my interior will be mostly done

6. the_general626

the_general626 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    90 Toyota Pickup 2wd standard cab
    now all u gotta do is post up some pics of the interior haha

7. JOE_1985

JOE_1985 Veteran

Truck:
    87 custom
    if i dont find my camera in the next 24 hours ill probally just borrow one

8. the_general626

Truck:
    i wnt complain with phone pics, lol believe it or not all my pics have been off my phone

9. JOE_1985

JOE_1985 Veteran

Truck:
    87 custom
    k ill try in the morning, right now thw wind feels like its doing 50mph outside and i have things in my truck i dont want to blow away

10. JOE_1985

JOE_1985 Veteran

Truck:
    87 custom
    today is my off day so ill try to get pics, few things i have noticed

where the bolt holes are the carpet and insulation is thick so im going to have fun bolting the seats in and seat belts

also i may run amp wire between the insulation and carpet mainly because i know im going to run 6x9s on the doors and amp the bazooka tube that came with the truck so this way when i get to that point i can just plug everything in and go

11. OJ's DNA

OJ's DNA Member

I recently had the floor carpet and the bench seat re-done in my 85 and I'm real happy with the results but a word of caution with the pre-formed carpet on ebay. In their ebay picture it will show a piece of carpet perfectly formed with the trans tunnel and everything - this is not the way you will receive it. It will come rolled up in a box and when you take it out it's just like any other piece of carpet, flat. There was no pre-formed action at all.

I took this carpet to a guy who did the seats for me, he did say that the carpet was good quality, had some padding on the underside of it as well as the foot well extra section so it wasn't all bad - I was just dissapointed in the initial look of it not being pre-formed.

This carpet guy charged me $400 to install the carpet and re-do the seats. I didn't want to spend it at first but I gotta tell you guys I like it a lot - it's like riding in a new truck.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. the_general626

Truck:
    im just gonna wait till i have my sounds to carpet it, but im also gonna go with a bed box so that might make things different.

like the bench... doesnt the 89-95 ext cab have a seat just like that, but its two seperate seats? the driver has the lil armrest and the passenger is the bucket?

13. JOE_1985

JOE_1985 Veteran

Truck:
    87 custom
  14. JOE_1985

JOE_1985 Veteran

Truck:
    87 custom
    IVE FOUND THE CAM

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]