Charging problem

Discussion in 'Interior/Electronics' started by LoLux, Jun 24, 2010.

1. LoLux

LoLux Newbie

Truck:
    1978 Pickup
    A little while back, my bone stock 78 quit starting (cranked, but wouldn't "turn over"), traced the problem to the fuel pump relay, and instead of replacing it, just bypassed it. (Hooked to a switch) An acquaintance had done this in his '77 Celica without a problem. Also, while I "had it apart", I
    did the Weber 32/36 swap, removed all the EGR, charcoal can, plugged the unneeded vacuum.

When I went to start it for the first time since the fuel relay died, it started and ran but the charge light was on. Bad alt, bad voltage regulator.
    Got a new alternator, installed a working voltage regulator, good battery, no charge light, but the battery is still not charging!

Anyone face anything similar?

I've checked the fusible links, and fuses.

2. dillinja666

dillinja666 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    I gots no truck, for now
    my 73 goes through the top connection on my fuse block. Ive gotten the charging light before on and its been a crappy connection there. Sounds kinda stupid but thats the only charging problem ive had with my 73.

3. LoLux

LoLux Newbie

Truck:
    1978 Pickup
    I checked the fuse box today, along with removing a bunch of now non-functional 80's era electronic crap that a previous owner had installed and returning all the wiring under the dash to stock. My year has three connectors going in to the back of the fuse box, along with one single connector with a black wire that a previous owner had taped back. Not sure what it's for, although it's switched power, 12V (I checked with a multimeter). The schematic that I have from Haynes is not very detailed, anyone have a factory schematic? It would make tracing through all of the wiring to find the problem just a bit easier.

4. dennass69

dennass69 Newbie

Truck:
    78' SR-5
    Any update on the charging problem? Im stumpped with one myself.

5. AToyRuck

AToyRuck Newbie

The King Co and Seattle Lib have a database for Chilton manuals. You can log in and print out electrical schematics from your home computer. I checked the other day for 1976, 1979, and 1983. The 83 had separate sections, so more printing, but you might only need one or two sections.

Hope this helps.

6. 22R_All_Motor!

22R_All_Motor! Addict

Truck:
    84 pickup
    i sure wish i had pics right about now, my problem was VERY similar but mines an 84.... i didnt have the charge light come on though
    this was the problem:

there's these connectors on MY truck, not sure about yours though, but the connector had gone bad and melted through the INSIDE of the connector... this connector is located near my igniter and the external volt. regulator.... it's like on the "wall" on the fender but in the engine bay the connector would also be near the driver's headlight, well the one closer to the igniter box went bad, i had a spare 86+ harness, cut off the old one and heat shrunk a piece off of the 86+ harness... my truck charges good now!

7. randy20r

randy20r Member

Truck:
    1976 toyota pickup
    iv put a new battery a new alternator a new voltage regulator on my truck and the light is still on