celica supra tranny swap

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by 77yoter, Aug 2, 2009.

1. 77yoter

77yoter Veteran

Truck:
    77 sr5 shortbed, 81 shortbed, 90 4x4
    ok so i have been debating with myself is it worth the effort to swap in a car tranny into my lux would it make it a better highway driver or would it make it more of a around town type of set up:confused:

2. standardbyker88

standardbyker88 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    78 lolux and an 89 ramcharger
    i assume you are talking about putting a W58. in place of your W50. you will need the clutch slave cylinder from the 58 and have to run the line to the other side of the tranny, but it will bolt up to the motor if you use a W55/56/58 to 20/22R bellhousing. so, any toyota truck from the 80s/90s or the celica will work. but not from the 5M/7M. the block pattern is different.

the tail section with the shifter arm also came in a few different locations depending what motor and car it came in. the reason most people do it is that it shifts a little more like a sports car does. and because of the taller 5th gear. lower freeway RPMs. the gear ratios are on wikipedia to compare. the 50 is a truck tranny and has 3rd and 5th really close to 4th for making it useable in those gears loaded. the 58 had a more even span throughout the gears.

also, the supras from 86.5-92 without a turbo had a nice short shifter lever that is a nice install on the tranny if you want a short stick. the bend may be an issue but you can heat it above the ball and move it to where you want.

i am not sure about driveline changes. i have some numbers on 58s if you want to compare it to yours.

3. 77yoter

77yoter Veteran

Truck:
    ah i see ya it suck i just threw out a 58 a couple months ago after i swamped 4x4 cause it was in the bed and i didnt have the hilux yet but i do have a tranny in my 79 celica but its hooked up to my hybrid but i really want to say that it has a 50 in it

4. standardbyker88

Truck:
    unless it has been changed it does. easy way to tell is if the clutch slave line is on the passenger side its the 50. or its sisters. and if its on the driver side its the 55/56/58

5. ShoNuff

ShoNuff Toyotaholic

Truck:
    75 hilux, 80 4x4
    eeehhhnnn *game show wrong sound*

w58 shift lever is on the pass side, i also have one kicking around... and a w50 and maybe a 55 not sure on that one.

ive never seen a W series tranny with the shift fork on the drivers side, i think your thinking of the later model G series trannys on 2wd's.

and the true easy way to ident a W58 is a ALL aluminum shell, 5 speed, in a celica/supra from 82 n up.

and like biker said, its more of a sports tranny, not so geared to tow stuff. i love all the gears on the W58 cept first, havent found a rear end geared low enuff to make it useful.

edit: if your talking about w58's out of supra's being on the drivers side id buy that for a dollar, never been under one.

6. 77yoter

77yoter Veteran

Truck:
    i would rather have a w50 or 55 i think that they are a closer ratio

7. standardbyker88

Truck:
    basically every time i do a hard onramp pull, i say 4 letter words of annoyance that going into 3rd drops me under the power band, then 4th puts me too far into it. and it was a supra with the fork on the other side. glad to know they came both ways. maybe it was like that because the M series exhaust goes down the passenger side.

8. standardbyker88

Truck:
    Well folks. I blew my w50 last night. Driving it easy too. Dropped 4th for a curve then there wasn't a 5th to go back into. I have a noisy 1st and a 4th that seems normal. It's driveable. Bt I have no 2,3,5,R gears. So, info is needed asap on what will be a direct swap. If a 55/56 will work that's fine. As long as I can use my driveline and tranny mount, and hopefully a close location where the shifter is. I'm willing to trade parts to anybody for a tranny. In Seattle area, Boise, Vegas, anywhere. Closer/sooner the better. And I mean like, today or tomorrow. Soon. Thanks.

9. 77yoter

77yoter Veteran

Truck:
    i think nuff might have a coulpe trannys

10. ShoNuff

ShoNuff Toyotaholic

Truck:
    75 hilux, 80 4x4
    i do.

ive got a W50, he'd have to change out the tail shaft to get the shifter right, its from a celica.

and i got a 4 speed in kit form, that nobody seems to want :shrug:

but he found some w58's at the junkyard, and says he's going that route tomorrow.

11. 77yoter

77yoter Veteran

Truck:
    ah thats cool at least he found one i have a ? for you nuff do you think i would be better off going with a w50 55 or a 58 in my lux with the hybrid all i know is i want a car tranny in it

12. ShoNuff

ShoNuff Toyotaholic

Truck:
    75 hilux, 80 4x4
    if you want a car tranny then use one...

only one thats only ever been in a car is the W58.

its been in celica's, supra's, and iirc some lexus's too. the go to tranny for toyota cars.

if you hit up "billy M" @ www.celica-gts.com you can get a brass shifter bushing that makes it.... and i quote "snap on ratchet accurate shifts" i have em and they are sweet.

my only complaint is the short 1st. this tranny really likes high gearing, like 3:40 or higher, with 3:7's n 3:9's 1st is pretty useless once your moving.

13. standardbyker88

Truck:
    I stashed the w58. I got a w50 from an 82 longbed. Side by side the length and shifter location was the exact same. Trans mount is back a couple inches. For mine I'd have to cut and weld. No access. I may snag it sometime soon. Or I can let you all know where I hid it. Il get it swapped tonight. And thanks for the later model engine tag info. It proved me to have grabbed a 50.

14. V8_TITAN

V8_TITAN Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 std cab
    do the w58 swap...you will LOVE it.

15. 77yoter

77yoter Veteran

Truck:
    i think i might just do that i did like how the one in my gts celica shifted it was alot smoother than the w55 in my 79 celica i have now