carrier bearing

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by glitchinq, Apr 15, 2016.

1. glitchinq

glitchinq Member

so i havent found much stuff about changing the carrier bearing for my truck. how easy of a job would this be? if i can swap the motor im sure i can do this bearing though. but any info on how to do it would help me alot :)

2. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    It looks pretty easy. I watched a YouTube video on how to do the carrier bearing. You may consider one of the upgrades for this part, common for the 4wd crowd and likely the high HP 2wd community.

3. glitchinq

glitchinq Member

which upgrade would that be and would you mind linking the video?

4. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    I watched the video on YouTube about a year ago, I'm sure you can find it easily.

For the carrier bearing upgrade I saw it on Pirate4x4, Marlin Crawler forums or on TTORA, can't remember again sorry. They used an industrial carrier bearing that's beefier than the Toyota one. Google should bring it up, I think use "Tacoma" in the search too.

My xcab has a rear lock rite locker and over 200k, so ever since installing it I've been waiting for it to destroy my carrier since the rear driveline will bind in sharp turns - so far so good, but the upgrade will definitely be what I use.

5. glitchinq

glitchinq Member

i went to a local junkyard to screw around and see if i could find a decent bearing first. im pretty sure i figured out how they work but how do they come off and on? do you need a puller to get it off and do you just smash it on or does it have to be pressed on? also found a clean 20r head and third member i snagged. gonna sell the head and gonna weld this diff and put it in