California Carb options?

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by ATController, Dec 4, 2008.

1. ATController

ATController Newbie

What are my options for carburator's in california to still pass smog? I think my factory one is run down and previous owner has recept of it being rebuilt 2 years ago but has only put on 1000 miles since then. so basically its been sitting for a long time but truck still runs rough, esp at morning starts. Lots of black soot. But once warmed up idle sounds good and the rich gas smell is gone. Hard driving/shifting still causes poofs of black smoke to shoot out inbetween shifts.

2. IronNam

IronNam Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 XCab
    give it a shot of good carb cleaner, see how it runs before you make any other large purchases

3. ATController

ATController Newbie

I have....about half a can's worth. Last night i also seafoamed the truck and when i came out this morning i can see that it broke up some more of the carbon build up on the butterflys and what not. So i'm gonna go spray it down again with carb cleaner. Seafoam is awsome!

Here's a picture i took with my Nikon D40
    [​IMG]

4. B.Y.E.

B.Y.E. Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1982 2wd Hilux
    Nice smokeout!! Seafoam rules!!

5. SUNSETJOE

SUNSETJOE Enthusiast

Truck:
    81 SR5 longbed
    What is this "Seafoam" stuff you guys are talkin about?

6. V8_TITAN

V8_TITAN Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 std cab
    I bought seafoam for 8 bucks.. truck ran sh1tty before, truck ran sh1tty after... when can I get my 8 bucks back ?

7. Reddawg007

Reddawg007 Member

Truck:
    88 Reg cab 22r
    nice fog effect

8. ShoNuff

ShoNuff Toyotaholic

Truck:
    75 hilux, 80 4x4
    1st i would take the fuel inlet line off the carb, pull the drain plug. reinstall the drain plug and fill the carb with carb clean through the fuel inlet. pump the gas a bit to get carb clean in every nook n cranny inside.

then have a beer.

after your beer come back, pull the drain plug, and spray carb clean through every lil tiny hole you can find on the carb, starting in the throat and working your way out to the vac fittings, always spraying inwards.

then follow up the same way with compressed air.

then one more time with carb clean to get any last bits out.

have another beer.

reinstall the vac lines, drain plugs, and gas line, prime the gas system and pump a few times.

when "modern gas" it goes bad in 3-6mo where older gas could last for years or be good again with a lil stabilizer and a lil stir.

either way bad gas will leave a sugar looking deposit at the bottom of where ever its sitting. this crystaline build up will clog jets, vac ports and make the carb work like crap.

you may want to make sure any vac switch is free of carbon too, carb clean is your friend.

9. lownloud

lownloud Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1987 Toyota 2wd JT4RN50 Airbagged custom
    Well at least we know the bugs are dead in the bushes . . . jk with ya man! Totally agree, every nook, every cranny, carb cleaner is great & seafoam has been a proven effective product for years . . . I always use it for the last couple hundred miles before I change my oil . . . think roto rooter . . .

10. B.Y.E.

B.Y.E. Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1982 2wd Hilux
    It's a fuel system cleaner for Fuel injected engines (also could be used on carbed motors but, done a little differently)...
    You can buy it a wally world or any of your favorite auto stores...

For best results dump one can into the gas tank at half tank and one can slowly poured into master cylinder vacuum hose (engine running). There should be enough vacuum to suck it down as you pour it slowly.

The engine idle will start to die and as you stop pouring it'll pick back up. About half of the can poured in, it will start to smoke out. Turn the engine off and have a beer or two depending on how fast you drink (10-15 mins).

Start the truck and take it for a drive... It'll smoke out like crazy cause it's burning all the carbon build up on the intake runners/valves/combustion chamber. The directions are also printed on the can so you don't have to break out the laptop in the garage... :D

This will be a good time to change out the plugs too. Oh and it's O2 safe!