Bummer news on the purchase of my 93

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by tursup, Feb 12, 2007.

1. tursup

tursup Newbie

I found that the marble rattling sound is the timing chain as it eats up the housing. The truck has 148,000 miles and the chain must not have been changed. My garage has quoted me $500 for the parts and labor. I am worried that the ground up metal and plastic ended up in the oil and has caused damage to the engine.

On dumb question. Do the valves need to be manually adjusted on this 22R?

2. tursup

tursup Newbie

The marble noise is from the timimg chain banging against the housing. Not good news.

3. 3In2Out

3In2Out Newbie

Truck:
    92' Toyota Pickup
    You can get the parts fairly cheap to fix it on ebay...if you dont mind turning a few wrenches you can save yourself some money doing it yourself.

4. Twisted Minis

Twisted Minis Addict

Truck:
    1980 Toyota
    Weekend and $80 in parts will do it. Get a manual and it walks you through it pretty well. Its pretty straight forwards, just a lot of work. They generally need to be replaced every 150k miles.

5. tursup

tursup Newbie

Thanks guys. I just hope the aluminum that has worn off from the housing does not case internal engine problems. It will be best if I remove and clean out the oil pan while I am at it.

6. ateam20x

ateam20x Newbie

Truck:
    '90 4x4
    yea changin the chain and guides is pretty easy, just get the ones with the metal backed guides, and yea clean out ur oil pan, and the valves can be adjusted manually...

7. Litneon

Litneon Super Moderator Staff Member

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    The aluminum in the engine isn't likely to cause any damage at all. Part of the job, (I did mine) will be to pull the oil pan and clean it out. Just get a Haye's or Chilton's manual and get to work... Shouldn't cost more than $100 or so.