Building my 22r up

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by krazyasslunatic, Mar 16, 2010.

1. krazyasslunatic

krazyasslunatic Enthusiast

Truck:
    1971 Hilux
    looking for a cheap way to hop up my 22r, i know the normal stuff, carb, intake, exhaust and all that, My main question is with 20r head swap, any clue how much poer it would add and is there anything i should have done to it, like something at the machine shop or . . . .? also if i do the head swap will a 22r valve cover still work? and can i use the same carb i have now? i saw a video saying i need some kind of adapter?

2. Frinzo

Frinzo Toyotaholic

Truck:
    '86 Std Cab
    if you put a 20r head on a late 22r block, u will need alot of head milling. I know because i have done it. i also put big valves in it, all the machine work without port matching and polish ran me $900. what you need to decide is how much power ur wanting. by this be realistic, as in say 150-175. if u are shooting for 200hp+ u better have a blank check. I will say i havent dynoed this engine as its still a work in progress. i can try help guide u to what u are looking to do, but im no expect, just have researched a bunch and have talk to people..

3. krazyasslunatic

Truck:
    1971 Hilux
    if its an 83 would that be a "late" block?

4. Raffaelli

Raffaelli Toyotaholic

Truck:
    82 Longbed 2WD
    Ok I have done it to my 82/ (so exactly like your block). Double chain heads are directly intechangable with other double chain heads.

1. Make sure the 20R head has P/S and fuel pump bosses (if you need em). I goofed here

2. A 20 or 22r valve cover works
    3. Buy the 25ish dollar LC adapter. 22R carb to 20R mani if you dont get webers. 22R carb > 20R carb.
    4. If your gunna do the swap, Id highly reccomend getting bigger valves and seats put in. Machine shop does this, but LC has your parts.
    5. There is a coolant hose you need to reroute. Simple.
    6. As for realalistic power, do the exhaust first. It is a bigger gain than the head swap by itself.
    7. I spent a solid 40 hr week porting the head, check out pics below. Its almost idiot proof easy. Look into it
    8. 20/22r cams are the same. Stock and aftermarket.

Mine is seriously undercarbed, under cammed and under valved. But the wheel is in motion....

If you had to relate it to something else, its like bolting on a set of AFR 225s on a rock stock 5.0 U will see gains, but induction, cam and exhaust all have to be working properly.

Intake with carb adapter
    [​IMG]

Head on block

[​IMG]

Intake port
    [​IMG]

Another
    [​IMG]

5. krazyasslunatic

Truck:
    1971 Hilux
    so im assuming that a weber for the 20r and 22r r the same?, header would be the same 2 for either model, id kinda like to knock it all out at once, exhaust, head, carb

6. eric47

eric47 Newbie

Truck:
    83 4x4, 98 Taco Ltd
    83 has the early block, tall deck.

7. Raffaelli

Raffaelli Toyotaholic

Truck:
    82 Longbed 2WD
    Most weber down draft kits come with adapter plates for both. Now sidedraft intakes are 22R or 20R specific.

A header would fit both.

8. krazyasslunatic

Truck:
    1971 Hilux
    okay, is there intake that be worth looking into?

9. eric47

eric47 Newbie

Truck:
    83 4x4, 98 Taco Ltd
    check out LC engineering, gooooood stuff...

10. project_DragTruck_v2.0

project_DragTruck_v2.0 Veteran

If you look around LCE's site, you'll notice them selling the usual Offy dual port, and "C" series.....then you'll notice they're selling a modified stock intake for a pretty hefty price. It's race ported, all un-needed holes welded up, and comes with a 4bbl carb adapter.....

What's stopping you from just buying a stock intake, having it ported, welding up or otherwise plugging only the holes YOU don't need for YOUR specific vehicle, and calling it day?

11. standardbyker88

standardbyker88 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    78 lolux and an 89 ramcharger
    thats what i did. i hunted and found a stock non-egr 20r intake, and ported the crap out of it. and pipe plugged all the holes. i also cut out the bar on the stock carb mount area. it alone made noticable gains. i would like to have welded stuff up but pipe plugs worked fine. i wouldnt spend the money for an aftermarket one on these engines. if you bothered to spend the money, put it towards side drafts (if you wanna go all out)

12. KYNgsx

KYNgsx Enthusiast

Truck:
    89 2wd
    Sidedrafts can still be cheap if you get them second hand.

13. bob9801

bob9801 Newbie

Truck:
    84 pickup
    I am going to jump into this thread because I have similar questions. I have an 84 year model truck that was produced in dec 83. What style of block would that be? I was under the impression that would be an older style block but it has a single wide timing chain. I have a 77 head with no fuel pump boss and I was wondering if it would be worth putting it on and if it is possible. Would there be another year of 20r head that would fit?

14. garagedoorman

garagedoorman Addict

Truck:
    86 RN63 /87 RN50 /85 SR5 /80 4x4 /86 RN55
    subscribed. Great info

15. standardbyker88

Truck:

81/82 Had the dual timing chain. 83/84 didn't but was still the older 22r block. I would still double check that it isn't a laser block, from any possible mixups or swaps by PO's. But the 20R head should work on it no problems. If you take the head off your motor, and DO NOT have domed pistons, then you won't have that high compression that the guys like from this combo.

Sidenote, I can't imagine there are many guys in Newcastle with blue dually HiLux's. Are you the guy that I bought the orange grille and rearend from?

16. oahu grown

oahu grown Toyotaholic

Truck:
    92 Extra Cab
    If i have a 22RE can i swap the head on mines for something else or no?

17. standardbyker88

Truck:
    85-95 heads are the same. Intake and fuel system was the change. You could find an 81-95 22R carb intake and swap that on if you wanted to ditch the EFI. If you have it decked, it can bump up compression. In stock form, the 20R head flows the best. But if any are worked heavily, the 22R laser head has the most potential.

18. B.Y.E.

B.Y.E. Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1982 2wd Hilux
    Care to explain your theory on this?

19. standardbyker88

Truck:
    It's what I read in a few places. Something about more valve area to run larger valves and bigger runners. But I'm a cheap ass so I have a stock rebuild 81 22R with a rebuilt 20R head. :lol:

20. B.Y.E.

B.Y.E. Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1982 2wd Hilux
    Man, I think we all build on a budget... Thats what makes it fun and rewarding! :evil:

I've read the same thing about surface material... But, i still feel the 20R has the edge even with smaller valves... :shrug: