brakes

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by 84yota, Mar 26, 2008.

1. 84yota

84yota Member

Truck:
    84 toyota
    ok im haveing this problem with my brakes. its only every once in a while but when i push on the brakes the pedal goes all the way to the floor i think its my master cylinder but i havent had time to bleed the brakes what do you guys think?

2. lownloud

lownloud Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1987 Toyota 2wd JT4RN50 Airbagged custom
    more info . . .

Woo Hoo ! Another Montana truck, Im liking that ! Anyways to get back to serious bussiness . . . Have you modified anything on the braking system lately ( new pads or rotors/drums )? Have you been having to ADD fluids more often as of late ( puddles or leakage present )? Brake ( dummy ) light been comming on or flashing ( . . . because of lost fluids or low volume ) ? If it is the booster, the are not that expensive to replace ! Hell, you can even rebuild them easily enough if you can locate parts, but, normally, replacement is easier to find !

3. 84yota

84yota Member

Truck:
    84 toyota
    no i havent had any problems with leaks or anything the fluid level is fine too the brakes work great its just every once in a while the pedal goes to the floor when i push on it

4. lownloud

lownloud Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1987 Toyota 2wd JT4RN50 Airbagged custom
    hmm . . .

Have you done brake repair before ? Just to be safe if you havent, I would recommend you at least have it checked out. . . Brakes are a serious thing, and not having them when its REALLY needed CAN be deadly for U & your ride if not other people as well.

5. 84yota

84yota Member

Truck:
    84 toyota
    yeah im gunna do a little maintenance and see what happens but im definately gunna go get them looked at asap

6. DietoRemain

DietoRemain Member

Have you bled your brakes!? this happens to me now and then cuz i need to bleed mine. pretty easy fix.

7. 84yota

84yota Member

Truck:
    84 toyota
    yeah i bled them today and it hasnt happened yet so im guessin there good now

8. DietoRemain

DietoRemain Member

haha i didnt even notice that you said you hadnt in your original post. sorry tired. But good to hear they are all good now. :)

9. Litneon

Litneon Super Moderator Staff Member

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    Another possibility is that the Master Cylinder is going bad on you. Air or moisture in the lines would almost always leave the pedal feeling spongy or soft all the time. If you have good pedal sometimes and then not, it is usually a sign that there are bigger problems. With no visible leaks, I would suspect the Master Cylinder.

10. 84yota

84yota Member

Truck:
    84 toyota
    ok i lied the brakes are still doin the same **** after i bled them what size booster and master cylinder are you guys runnin that are body dropped and all that good stuff? i figure i will just get it out of the way so i dont have to buy another one when i get around to body droppin mine.

11. fourwd1

fourwd1 Member

Truck:
    84 4Runner rock crawler
    If the brakes feel normal when you apply them, and then while you still have your foot on the pedal it starts sinking to the floor, the MC has an internal leak and needs replacing.

If you replace it be sure to bench bleed it first.

Then after it's installed be sure to bleed the entire system in the proper order:
    LR
    RR
    RF
    LF
    LSPV

12. 84yota

84yota Member

Truck:
    84 toyota
    ok i understand that but how do you bench bleed the MC and what is the LSPV?

13. fourwd1

fourwd1 Member

Truck:
    84 4Runner rock crawler
    It's simple, but a bit much to explain here, GOOGLE it.

Load Sensing Proportioning Valve.

It's mounted on the frame above the rear axle, with an arm that goes down to the axle. It adjusts braking power of the rear wheels according to weight in the bed.

14. 84yota

84yota Member

Truck:
    84 toyota
    ok thanks for clearing that up. . . i googled bench bleeding and it says in the article that i read to buy a kit. you dont really need the kit do ya? it seems like a waste of money

15. Badlux

Badlux Enthusiast

Truck:
    87 xtra cab
    My truck does the same thing. I was just gonna post a topic on it but came across this post. It happens every so often but if I pump on the pedal, it comes back up. Sorry didnt mean to thread jacker.

16. fourwd1

fourwd1 Member

Truck:
    84 4Runner rock crawler

Heck no.

The new MC should come with some plastic fittings and 2 pcs of hose to do the job.

Once you've bleed it on the bench and bolted it back in, the hard part is to reconnect the hardlines w/o loosing all the fluid in the MC and letting air get back in.

17. 84yota

84yota Member

Truck:
    84 toyota
    yeah that sounds like it is a pain in the ass but i think i can get it done thanks for the help

18. Frinzo

Frinzo Toyotaholic

Truck:
    '86 Std Cab
    i have never bench bleed my MC. i always just hook it up to the truck fill it and us a 20oz soda bottle and a hose. probly takes the same amount of time and u can do it by urself, not extra hands needed..