Brake components

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by GrantH, Oct 27, 2011.

1. GrantH

GrantH Addict

For those of you who have bought and replaced brake components, specifically your calipers...where did you have good luck with? Are you using toyota parts or performance parts or just auto zone type stuff? I'd like to use a decent set if I end up needing them. I'm thinking NAPA, but possibly Toyota.

2. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    Napa or a good auto store.
    Anything from the dealer will cost you a lot more!
    I do use the dealer only when I can not get from other sources!
    All my brakes stuff is after market!!:cool:

3. GrantH

GrantH Addict

I wasn't aware how easy it is to rebuild calipers. I think I am going to go that route if they don't work as i'm hoping they will. Either way, they will be getting painted with VHT.

4. Twisted Minis

Twisted Minis Addict

Truck:
    1980 Toyota
    Its really pretty easy with a few simple tools, and rebuild kits are cheap. Thats the best route if you have time to invest in them.

5. Domer

Domer Member

Truck:
    1985 Toyota 2wd Turbo Xtra cab
    I got all my stuff for my turbo toyota, from rockauto.com hella cheap prices.. always done me good.. you can get rebuilt calipers and they come with the bracket, pins and everything..

6. Malessohomegrown

Malessohomegrown Toyotaholic

Truck:
    87Hilux,92Hilux reg,914x4 HiluxEC
    brake rebuuild

Just did a rebuild on my caliper. Rebuild set was $6.00 each side at napa. Remove the caliper without opening the bleed nipple and have someone pump the brakes and the piston will work itself out then right when fluid starts coming out around the piston take a vice grip and line lock the brake hose to save your fluid. Clean out the crap in the caliper and blow out the hole where the fluid comes through. Make sure your piston is nice and shinny. If its pitted might as well replace it. You have to bring in your old caliper for a big discount on the new one.Without the old is like $100. some each and with the old is like $52.00 each at Napa.