Best air ride for the $..?

Discussion in 'Suspension/Chassis' started by LAYNLOW, Aug 14, 2015.

1. LAYNLOW

LAYNLOW Veteran

Truck:
    93 Toyota Pickup 2wd
    Thinking about baggin my truck. ( 93 2wd )....anyone know where i can find a good setup for the buck? Dont wanna get too crazy.

2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Theslamstore.com has a AZ compressor and 5 gallon tank for $350.
    Thorbros has 4 air lift bags + 50' of air line for $285
    Manual valves are the cheapest and easiest you can get. $75 from thorbros.com

Thats just management. Thorbros sells rear links built to your specs.

LAYNLOW likes this.
  3. Litneon

Litneon Super Moderator Staff Member

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    Yeah, there really isn't a "cheap" alternative. Save up some money and do it right. You won't regret it.

I've run an AZ OB2 for 6 years now with not one problem. Slam specialties bags, AVS switches, and fabbed up wiring harness and valve manifolds.

Heck, I haven't had a leak in 4 years. Seriously. And I daily mine, it's my only vehicle.

LAYNLOW likes this.
  4. LAYNLOW

LAYNLOW Veteran

Truck:
    93 Toyota Pickup 2wd
    Yea i figured it wouldnt be a cheap alternative.i definitely want to do it right when the time comes. Was just wondering if there were good ones, bad ones. Thanks guys!

5. LAYNLOW

LAYNLOW Veteran

Truck:
    93 Toyota Pickup 2wd
    Ok ive saved up enough money and ive decided to bag my truck this winter. Im still learning things about the whoke bagging seen. Whats the reason for a 4link? Is it something needed for bagging?

6. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    Research all you can, read what others have done to your year of truck, & draw it out & plan it out!!
    Yes link bars will be needed , they hold the rear axle in place sense the leaf or coil spring that do that job will be removed!! 2,4 or 6 link,wishbone, parallel, or tri-linked! Forward mounted is the preferred choice of installation!
    In choosing a tank, remember steel tanks will get rust inside, aluminum tanks will oxide inside , stainless steel will stay clean,can be power coated or painted if not wanting shinny! All will get condensation so paln on using water traps in you system! Sleeve bags @ the rear will be better than convoluted ones & in front or to the rear of the axle will ride better than on the axle!1
    Valves, fittings & pumps, best to buy these separately & not as a kit, has you will need more or less than comes that way!

I've run my set up for around 8 years now ,drive 5,000 miles through the summer to shows far & wide,very reliable!
    2 Viair 380 pumps, 8 Asco 3/8'' valves, custom made valve manifolds with check valves, 3'8''stainless hard-line & 3/8'' soft line with brass push to connect fittings, 2 -7 gal stainless tanks & 2 water traps, controlled by a Air Lift Auto Pilot,first generation unit. Slam re6 bags @ the front & Firestone 9000 sleeve bags @ the rear.

jblaust and LAYNLOW like this.
  7. LAYNLOW

LAYNLOW Veteran

Truck:
    93 Toyota Pickup 2wd
    @truckaction...thanks bud! That helps alot. I just seen an old friend and he has a bagged n bodied b2000. So i got a local helper lol. But im sure ill be asking more questions when it comes time. Glad u mentioned the tanks too...def going SS

8. Litneon

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    I would recommend going with one of the newer valve blocks. AccuAir or Firestone (I think) both make good units. They are more compact and very reliable.
    Also, if and when I build another, I'll go 1/4" air lines. All the cars run them and honestly, fast bags are a pain in the butt.
    Big valves and lines make small adjustments harder nail, and dropping fast while driving is a bit sketchy. I finally added plugs with one 1/16" hole drilled in each one to slow down the drop. Even the 1/4" silencers I ran for a while were too fast. If you are driving low and want to bump down just a bit further, you'll be on the ground before you know it.

Slow downs are an option, but why? If you can just get smaller valves and line in the first place, the install will be easier and cleaner.

LAYNLOW likes this.
  9. LAYNLOW

LAYNLOW Veteran

Truck:
    93 Toyota Pickup 2wd
    Man i appreciate all the input. Yea i dont want a fast drop bc as u said droppi g at high speed might be sketchy lol. But i want a slow drop..mainly bc im not tryn to launch my kids threw the roof when they ride with me haha. Itll be my PT DD so i want to do it right 1 time. Can u send me some links to the the thi gs youve mentioned? Ive been looking on ebay and Googling different things here n there. Is there a kit for a 4link , bridge, and notch? Im tryn to minimize how many orders i make lol. As few tracki g #s as possible

10. LAYNLOW

LAYNLOW Veteran

Truck:
    93 Toyota Pickup 2wd
    This a good setup? Anythi g i need to change around?

Attached Files:

11. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Get atleast a 6 or 7 bag up front and the biggest you can out back. Bigger bag, more lift, less PSI, smoother ride

LAYNLOW likes this.
  12. LAYNLOW

LAYNLOW Veteran

Truck:
    93 Toyota Pickup 2wd
    Thanks jetas

13. Litneon

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    Your screen shot includes half inch valves and airline again... :) Like I said, you can go that route, but will want slow downs on the fill and dumps. Just more potential leaks and things to go wrong...

Search "air ride valve block". It'll get you started. I've never actually price compared the 8 valve block setup to 8 Asco valves, but by the time you get mounts for them, all the fittings and go through the hassle of assembling and reassembling when you have leaks, the $400 is probably worth it.

Plus, AccuAir has switch boxes and harnesses that plug right in and are super simple to setup while remaining affordable. I think there are even a few knockoff switchboxes and harnesses that work with the AccuAir and RideTech blocks.
    I wouldn't chance knockoff blocks though. You get what you pay for.

LAYNLOW likes this.
  14. Litneon

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    And a 7" bag up front will take extra fab work to make fit.

LAYNLOW likes this.
  15. LAYNLOW

LAYNLOW Veteran

Truck:
    93 Toyota Pickup 2wd
    Ok cool. Yea i have no clue what im lookn at guys haha.im not going crazy money on the setup but i wont buy the cheapest parts.i seen the 6 and 8 valve setup..whats the valve setup purpose? Is it better to have 8?

16. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    8 valves, 2 per corner, 1 fill and 1 dump. Keeps the air from moving from one side to the other when cornering and also if something happens to a bag or a line it wont completely dump the front or rear leaving you stranded.

Check out the slam specialties manifold. Its roughly $400. Accuair is over $500 and ive seen in close to $600 in some places.

LAYNLOW likes this.
  17. LAYNLOW

LAYNLOW Veteran

Truck:
    93 Toyota Pickup 2wd
    So the smaller the lines the slower the up n down?

18. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Yes. 1/2" valves will damn near make a mini truck hop. 3/8" is plenty fast

LAYNLOW likes this.
  19. LAYNLOW

LAYNLOW Veteran

Truck:
    93 Toyota Pickup 2wd
    Well hell with that lol. Thanks for the info

20. Litneon

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    8 valves will give you fill and dump on each corner. It is ideal.

4 or 6 valves will need a tee fitting to allow one fill and dump valve to fill and dump two bags simultaneously. This setup also allows air to transfer from one side to the other while going around corners will likely create excess body roll.

The larger the valve and line, the faster the air can move...

LAYNLOW likes this.