Bed cover options

Discussion in 'Exterior/Body' started by KingBouyah, Apr 15, 2018.

1. KingBouyah

KingBouyah Member

I'm looking for a bed cover for my 92 standard cab, regular bed.

I would love a fiberglass cover, I think they look nice and look like they would keep the inside of the bed the cleanest. The only trouble is that I was told that snugtop is the only manufacturer that makes one for the 89-95. I was quoted like $1400. (Which is what I paid for the truck) so I'm not sure I can justify that expense right now, and I do occasionally haul stuff.
    There are some other manufactures that have part numbers listed that fit 95-04 Tacomas, and the dimensions listed match the pickup, does anyone know the differences that would make this not work? Would be great if I could pick up a used undercover hard tonneau.

I was told a folding cover would be a good option, but for it to be secure, I would need a locking tailgate. Pop and Lock makes a locking handle that's listed for 98-15 Hilux (part# PL5050) that looks identical to the pickup handle. If I'm not mistaken the Hilux model was the same from 89-98, so I can't imagine what could be so different that it wouldn't work. Anybody have any experience with these?

Third option is to learn how to build a cedar strip canoe and apply that craft to making a hard tonneau instead. I know people have done camper shells that way. Initial cost estimates, though are easily in the $600-800 range and it would probably take a lot of my summer to do it, assuming my woodworking/fiberglass skills are up to making it actually look good.

2. KingBouyah

KingBouyah Member

Update: Ok, so I ordered a pl5050c off of eBay. Hopefully the chrome doesn't look stupid (or get flakey in a short period of time), because nothing else is chrome on my truck (yet).

I'll update when I install it next week and let everyone know how it goes. It seems like I have read about people looking for locking tailgate options, so it will be nice if this works. I also ordered a cheap folding hard cover ($400 from eBay) that says it fits 89-04. We'll see how this goes, too. I don't really like the look of the folding covers, particularly the ones that aren't flush, but the functionality appeals to me more than anything, and if my wife gets a commuter car like she's been threatening to do, my truck ends up outside and my garage space will be taken by something lame like an Accent or Elantra. So keeping the rain, snow, leaves and other crap out of my bed will be kind of nice.

3. KingBouyah

KingBouyah Member

Success!
    I have to clean up the sticky crap off the tailgate from the PO, but it does seem like the quality of this is comparable to the oem handle. So yeah, it does still feel like I might break it if I pull too hard.
    IMG_20180512_144140.jpg
    So, that opens up some other options, too, I had seen somewhere a handle with an integrated back up camera. I'll try to find that if anyone is interested.

Last edited: May 14, 2018
  4. KingBouyah

KingBouyah Member

IMG_20180609_154622.jpg
    Cleaned it up

Attached Files:

blackmage3113 likes this.