Battery Relocation

Discussion in 'Interior/Electronics' started by taki_lalu78, Aug 30, 2012.

1. taki_lalu78

taki_lalu78 Member

I am in the process of relocating my battery for drag race use and better weight transfer, cut a hole behind the r/r fender and am going to sink the batter down with a custom made bracket just need any info as far as wiring, only think need wired is msd ignition, starter, alternator and fuse block, and electric fuel pump, does anyone have info on this, do I run a 0 guage from battery to a fuse block under the hood and splitting off from their, do I need a kill switch for use at the drags since battery was relocated..I have seen many forums about NHRA rules for relocating a battery..pls help

2. eurofreak2002

eurofreak2002 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    80 STD SR5 LB, bagged! The new whip!
    Im not up on my drag rules but Im pretty sure you need a cut switch. As far as cable the bigger the better. When I relocated mine I used 0 gauge from the battery to the starter. I used O gauge from neg terminal to side of bed. I added 4 more 4 gauge grounds from bed to frame, and cab to frame and 2 more 4 gauge from engine to frame and cab. I used 4 gauge to run from starter terminal to the fuse box. I am going to also jump a new 4 gauge wire from starter terminal to alternator terminal and get rid of the stock alternator terminal wire that runs from the fuse block through the headlight wiring. Of course the pics in my build thread show all 2 gauge wires but Ive upgraded since then. However I didnt have any issues with running the 2 gauge, Infact it was in my cab for a month running off 4 gauge and I didnt see a huge difference. Hope this helps. If you gonna drag race it then look up the rules for your local track or look up the NHRA website.

3. scrub88

scrub88 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 toy short bed
    Nhra rules you have to have a master disconnect on battery relocations . Are scca charter also makes us have one if the battery is relocated I assume most of the scca sanctions do

4. 1lowSr5

1lowSr5 Addict

Truck:
    90' xtra cab Sr5, 2003 taco
    Rules state a relocated battery has to be in an approved box, also has to have 0 gauge ( aka 1/0) and has to have a cut off. Here is a link to all the rules and pics on how it had to be mounted and wired in... battery relocation

In some instances ( have to talk to your track official) cut off switches only have to be used on vehicles with certain speed or ETs. In my 64 fury I have a relocated battery but no cut off as it isn't fast enough, but my 65 barracuda HAD to have a relocated battery and a cut off switch due to ET and speeds...

Hope this helps out brah. :waytogo:

5. 1lowSr5

1lowSr5 Addict

Truck:
    90' xtra cab Sr5, 2003 taco
  6. crashburnoveride

crashburnoveride Member

Truck:
    88 reg cab pickup
    What are the benefits of doing the relocation exactly??

7. AGUILAR3

AGUILAR3 Veteran

Weight distribution is the main reason racers relocate their batteries to the trunk/back. It also cleans up the engine bay.

8. crashburnoveride

crashburnoveride Member

Truck:
    88 reg cab pickup
    What about the guys who move it right and have intake go left?

9. mprtftr

mprtftr Enthusiast

Truck:
    94 Reg Cab
    In its stock location, it sits on the same side of the engine as the exhaust manifold. Moving the intake over to the passenger side of the engine bay helps to cool down the air getting pulled in.

10. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    Better yet,draw your air from outside the engine bay!!
    A true cold air system!!:cool: