Battery not charging after engine warmed up

Discussion in 'Interior/Electronics' started by taswift, Jun 27, 2015.

1. taswift

taswift Member

Truck:
    76 Hilux
    76, 20r, pretty much stock. when the motor is cold and I put the voltmeter on I get a solid 13.5v at idle. Once it warms up it drops to 12.2-3 dips into 11s sporadically.

In the last month I've done a motor swap, new starter, alternator, voltage regulator, plug wires, and wired up my the low beam "fog lights" (inner set of headlights).

Alternator has been tested and passed. I've disconnected my wiring with volt meter hooked to see if the voltage changes, no change. Tried jiggling the key to see if it was a loose contact, I can pull the key out with no change while it's running, but didn't effect the voltage or charge light. Next checking my grounds and wiring I've touched in the last month. Since it charges cold and then drops as it warmed up is confusing me. Also, holding the throttle open a bit doesn't seem to increase the output.

Any suggestions? Maybe a 3wire alternator needs to happen? Any input helps.

2. tyrap26

tyrap26 Enthusiast

voltage regulator? other than than if its a cheese cake aftermarket alternator then i'd say if it doesn't output voltage then alternator is to blame..

3. taswift

taswift Member

Truck:
    76 Hilux
    Found it. Two wires coming off the alternator had worn through the sheath and were bypassing the battery or something. Once the motor warmed up and the wires got soft they would make contact. Found it underneath some electrical tape. Haha

4. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Just run a 3 wire alt and call it done. 100A alt is only about $125 on summit