Bag Setup

Discussion in 'Suspension/Chassis' started by LowMovementYota, Oct 22, 2009.

1. LowMovementYota

LowMovementYota Newbie

Truck:
    94 xcab
    Ok well i searched around for a little while and maybe someone can help me out...But im tryin to see how everyone is doing their front and rear bag setup...Im not looking for anything crazy just a pretty simple setup. Pics of this would help...Thanks

2. Shadetree Mechanic

Shadetree Mechanic Addict

Truck:
    '79 4x4,'89 short-bed 2wd, '85 4Runner
    I agree. We are badly in need of some detailed pics of modified lower control arms and bag brackets for the front of these trucks. I have searched a bit myself and I have had better luck on other sites.:eek: We can't have that now!:waytogo:

3. LowMovementYota

LowMovementYota Newbie

Truck:
    94 xcab
    Ive looked on suicide doors and fbi and both have torsion bar bag kits but I mean is that fine or do I need somethin else?

4. Shadetree Mechanic

Truck:
    The stock lower control arms on our trucks can easily me modified to have a bag plate on top of them which replaces the torsion bar spring system. I don't know about the kits you mentioned. Here is a link to a minitruckin article that shows how they modified the lowers.

http://www.minitruckinweb.com/tech/suspension/0405mt_toyota_mini_shocks_drop_spindles/index.html

From what I have heard though, the way they use in the article is not necessarily the best way, so hopefully some of our forum members will step up with some detailed pics of modified lowers and the upper brackets they used.

5. DHPmike

DHPmike Member

its easier to just go with tube arms on the lowers and uppers. then you get some drop built in the arms and you have enough room to get a small firestone 2500 under the frame and have enough lift to clear 20s on stock spindles.

its all a matter of getting the bag close enough to the pivot point to get the lift you need.

the stock arms are so tall they dont have enough room for the bag to get under the frame. in that case you need to notch the frame and replate it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Shadetree Mechanic

Truck:
    While all of that may be true, for those of us who are using stock arms or modified stock arms, we really need some pics of how they are modified as far as bag plate location and how to notch and plate the frame. We need both setups pictured really. Cmon guys! I know somebody has got some pics of this! I am running drop spindles and don't really see the need to run tubular arms. I'd like to just put a bag plate on top of the lower control arm and bracket the top to the frame, although as you said, some notching of the frame may need to be done to make enough room for the bag. That's where we need some more detailed info here on the site. Not one pic of a bag setup has been posted yet...:shrug:

7. burnzya

burnzya Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    bodied 73 hilux
    here are a couple pics. the suicide doors mount will work fine. or you can make your own.

overall (don't mind the surface rust :D ). i took all the stock crap off except the upper control arm mount. then made the brackets and stuck them on. you can see behind the bag there is an area that is open. that is where it needs to be trimmed. i still need to plate it...

[​IMG]

here is the lower arm. i cut the top area off and plated it with 3/16" plate. doing it like this instead of using the lower bracket from a kit, allows the compressed bag to fit in between the frame and lower arm. the dashed red line represents where i cut and plated it. then drill your 3/8" hole and you're set.

[​IMG]

**** if you set up your brackets without dropped spindles and later decide to use them, it will prevent you from getting full lift. unless you re-do the upper bag brackets to account for the lower arm being lower to the ground.****

8. LowMovementYota

LowMovementYota Newbie

Truck:
    94 xcab
    how does the front of your truck lay? i thought you have to z the frame to get the front to lay completely out? Or are you mainly doing that to put the bag between the lower arm and the frame rail?

9. burnzya

burnzya Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    bodied 73 hilux
    my truck lays full frame, i tecnically z'd it. but in a different way. the 2 feet of front frame is the only stock section.

[​IMG]

the stock frame needs to be z'd 1.25-1.5" before it will lay flat, as well as a modified/aftermarket transmission crossmember.

i plated the lower arm because factory there is a big hole where the bag needs to bolt. the lower brackets that come in kits range from a bent bracket that bolts on, to a simple circle that gets welded straight to the arm. removing the open top and plating it just makes it look cleaner in my opinion.

10. nvmy22s

nvmy22s Newbie

yeah some pics of how people have done there top bag bracket in the front would be nice to see

11. LowMovementYota

LowMovementYota Newbie

Truck:
    94 xcab
    if you just put the trans cross member in will it lay flatter than with out it?

12. dc_style

dc_style Member

Truck:
    1967 Toyota Stout
    Bump... looking to use an 86 Xtra Cab frame and swapping my stout body on. Is there a specific bag kit that would work best?