Autocross beater

Discussion in '1989-1995 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by White Trash, Sep 30, 2013.

1. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    Fancy install under the dash. :ROFL:

[​IMG]

I reused the stock wiring to the distributor and even the stock bracket to hold it onto the firewall. I even got fancy and used a couple of insulated adel clamps on the valvecover. It was a biotch to get the wiring through the grommet in the firewall but not shorting out my ignition will be worth the effort. :lol:

[​IMG]

The remains of the inner fender is a busy place with too much crap but I really don't have many choices unless I redo pretty much everything in the area to move it.

[​IMG]

2. MrDinkleman

MrDinkleman Addict

Truck:
    1988 standard cab, long bed
    I haven't had a chance to re-read the entire thread (I have a bad memory) so I apologize if this question has been asked before:

Did you do anything to stiffen up the chassis, especially torsionally? Ladder frame chassis are supposed to be worst in terms of torsional stiffness which is my manufacturers put in bracing such as "X" cross members. Or did you tie in a roll cage into the frame to stiffen it up? I so, can you point me to a post # or at least let me know that it was discussed...

Or, did you just find it unnecessary?

Thanks.

3. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    I haven't stiffened the chassis yet . I do have a cage bent up for the truck but I'm having second thoughts since it is only 1 1/2x.120" DOM. Most racing organizations call for 1 3/4x.120" so I figure if I'm going to do it I may as well have it legal for whatever I might end up doing later.

4. MrDinkleman

MrDinkleman Addict

Truck:
    Do you feel stiffening the chassis is necessary, especially for taking your truck "to the next level"?

5. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    Necessary for the current drive train, not really. For the wet dream LS1/T56 yes it will be needed. Running an 18 mm rear sway bar isn't enough to put much stress on the chassis. If i was running a 1 ton bar I can see how it'd be an issue especially since it is mounted to the rear of the axle. I purposely went with a forward facing bar to avoid that proproblem.

My biggest chassis issue right now is wheel hop. If I roll into the throttle it stays light. If i hammer on it the back starts hopping and I have to pedal it. I think the reason for that is the new clutch and flywheel setup. It revs so much quicker now that it tries to blow the inside tire off. A limited slip should fix that along with installing my fuel cell so I have clearance for a traction bar.

6. MrDinkleman

MrDinkleman Addict

Truck:
    Huh! Interesting. I never thought about the leverage on the chassis due to the anti-roll bar mounting location. Makes sense, though...

So, technically, the front bar should be mounted behind the front wheels facing forward. It could be done on these (and probably any) trucks since there is that bolt-on cross bar at the middle of the chassis, under the tranny. I wonder if anyone, from backyard mechanics to race car designers to a manufacturer, ever did that...

You have a lot of interesting ideas on your truck. I am still thinking about that side exhaust...

7. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    In desert racing, monster trucks and a few other motor sports they match sway bars. IE if the front t bar is mounted in front of the axle then the rear bar will be mounted behind the rear axle. And vice versa if the front bar is behind the axle the rear bar will be in front of the rear axle. It has to do with how the chassis sees the load in each application. I've seen guys get away with just a rear bar mounted in front of the axle with good results too but not in a road race type application.

I have a stock yj jeep front bar I've thought about checking for fitment but so far I'm happy enough with the setup. If you want a custom made bar speedwaymotors.com carries varying diameters and lengths of bar and different length clamping arms that can be bent or welded to for custom applications.

I love my exhaust. Honestly it could be a bit louder but the tone is nice. The more I beat on it the better it gets.

8. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    Received the LCE header from tyrap26 yesterday and promptly hauled ass to my brothers place to install it. I'm happier than a pig in shiat with the fitment and it actually made my exhaust note change for the better. My guess is LCE must use a slightly different tube tuning than the others since this truck now sounds almost exactly the same as my 78 with an LCE header and MagnaFlow muffler. I'm stoked. :D

[​IMG]

9. Mikerocosms

Mikerocosms Veteran

Truck:
    1990 22R Pickup
    Are you running a cat?

10. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    There isn't a single piece of emission equipment on the truck. Just the way I like it. :D

11. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    Just received a pair of these today. One for this truck and one for my new wheeler project samurai. I fawking HATE exhaust leaks so hopefully these will fix the issue. Now if I could only find the time to put it on. :lol:

12. aaron_sk

aaron_sk Enthusiast

Truck:
    '94 Regular cab
    I ran a bunch of those from that exact outfit on my turbo car and was very happy with them. They stood up to a lot of abuse from constantly pulling the crossover pipe. No leaks, no BS. Pricey but worth it.

13. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    Good to hear. I debated going with another vendor that has a similar setup but with no self centering capabilities that were half the money but I talked myself out of cheaping out and risking another leak.

14. Da_Roach

Da_Roach Toyotaholic

Truck:
    (1) 92 RN80 (1) 2002 RZN150
    Do you have recent videos with the new header installed? How soon till an LSD unit gets installed?

15. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    Nope those are all with the old header. My wife either couldn't make the event or in the case of the "come try autocross" charity event she wouldn't have been able to sit down if she filmed us all.

It was my truck, my brothers 99 z/28, my old red 84 x cab and Lil Lola in his truck. There was myself, both of my brothers, and my niece and nephew swapping rigs constantly so it would have been a pain in the butt to keep things straight. :lol:

16. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    Finally had time to work on the exhaust. I loosened the header and slipped a bolt between it and the torsion bar. I now have about 1/4" clearance. :D

I extended the collector back about 8" to clear the torsion bar and put the new clamp in a better spot. The whole exhaust system sits just a bit below the frame but it's level and tucked up as close to the torsion bar crossmember as possible without hitting it.

[​IMG]

I also swapped out the rusty 2 1/2" exhaust tip for a piece of 3" stainless. Looks good now and it sounds a bit better and is louder now. I'm pretty sure it's due to the old header collector was 2"and now it's free'r flowing 2 1/4".

Oh and I haven't picked up a limited slip for it yet. I'm still trying to decide which one to go with but I'm certainly leaning towards a supra unit since it's cheap. :lol:

17. NashMan

NashMan Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 2wd
    Supra is what i run

18. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    I wish I'd have had the cash to buy your 8" supra lsd when uou had it up for sale. :duh: now I can't find one for anything under $250. :brickknock:

19. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    So after sitting on a full urethane bushing kit for my front end for at least a year I finally installed them today and pulled the drop spindles out in favor of the stock ones again. I should have pulled those stupid drop spindles a long time ago! I had suspected them of having terrible Ackerman angle and boy was I right. I got it all buttoned up, adjusted the tie rods 5 turns a side out to compensate for the steering arms being straight instead of pointed inwards and it drives like a dream. The toe adjustment is extremely close to what it was before but now the truck doesn't fight me when I turn the wheel more than a half turn. :D

Other than that I haven't done much. I did cut the collector off of the lce header and extend it back about 8" so I had room for the V band clamp next to the torsion bar and I added a 3" piece of stainless tube as an exhaust tip awhile back. I made a deal for some mustang svt 17 x 8's too, should have them on the truck this week.

20. Da_Roach

Da_Roach Toyotaholic

Truck:
    (1) 92 RN80 (1) 2002 RZN150
    Glad your back to wrenching. I'm sure your times will be faster now. How hard are the strut rod bushing to install? I would like to replace mine in the future.