auto longbed to manual?????

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by 808long87, Oct 16, 2009.

1. 808long87

808long87 Newbie

hey i got a good question how would i go about swapping a 5 or 4 speed into my auto longbed truck?i had a doner truck with a 4speed but i ran into a prob with the drive axle. i measured the length on the auto trans and it was way longer than the manual so the auto axle was too short. now the doner truck was a 1/2 ton so the axle on that is garuanted shorter than that of the auto. please does anybody know what axle i can use or how to go about swapping my trans. i was thinking by the looks of it could i use a xtra cab axle? pls help

2. ShoNuff

ShoNuff Toyotaholic

Truck:
    75 hilux, 80 4x4
    i think you got your terms mixed up here.

the axl: bit wheels bolt to
    drive line: bit that connects tranny to axl

so really all you should need to do is swap the manual in and use the manual drive line.

you may need to use the manual tranny cross member if the mount is that much out of place.

3. 808long87

808long87 Newbie

uhh yea my bad, the weed here in hawaii is strong. yea the drive line. even if i swap in the tranny i still wont have a drive line to fit. donor truck isnt a longbed, if it was it would be a straight swap. since it isnt i was wondering if anybody would know what drive line would fit. or basically how long is a longbed manual drive line? i dont think its the same length as my auto or donor truck drive line, or is it? can i use a xtra cab driveline?

4. ShoNuff

ShoNuff Toyotaholic

Truck:
    75 hilux, 80 4x4
    sounds like you need a tape measure.:D

or you could just put in the new tranny and swear a bit. but you might get lucky.