anyone know how to tune stock aisan carb?

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by jfranco93, Sep 28, 2015.

1. jfranco93

jfranco93 Newbie

after figuring out my charging issue :D i must move on to figuring out how tune my stock Aisan Carb until I can afford a weber.

must of the threads i find don't really explain on how to properly do it...

my current symptoms are: truck starts fine but immediately shoots to high idle, after it runs for a minute or so the truck starts to shut off and on on it own.

i can even adjust my timing cuz it idles so high.

any help is appreciated!!! :waytogo:

2. pan58head

pan58head Newbie

Sounds like a vacuum leak to me

3. YOguyDA

YOguyDA Addict

Truck:
    1986 Regular Cab
    +2 On a vacuum leak...

Sounds like the choke is keeping it rich enough to run and when it drops down to idle its too lean to keep running.

4. jfranco93

jfranco93 Newbie

OK so I did find vacuum leak on the dizz daiphram ...lucky me I had a spare one, also got vacuum caps for the rest of unused vacuum ports so my vacuum leaks are gone... now is hard to cold start but I can start it with a little bit of starting fluid. How do I set the idle mixture and is 8° BTDC sound right ?

5. YOguyDA

YOguyDA Addict

Truck:
    1986 Regular Cab
    I think the FSM on my '86 says 0 degrees with the dizzy lines disconnected and plugged.

I've heard different specs from guys with different generations of the 20r/22r...

6. jfranco93

jfranco93 Newbie

OK so I got the truck running pretty good but I did noticed my AAP is leaking. also looking into the carb mouth I can zee that the butterfly on the right side doesn't open and no gas sprays out ... is that normal?

7. YOguyDA

YOguyDA Addict

Truck:
    1986 Regular Cab
    AAP can be capped off...I never noticed a difference.
    But you do notice it, when the vacuum line is sucking raw fuel into the intake manifold, lol.

Carb sounds normal to me, if you're referring to the secondary being closed while running... Try going WOT with the engine off. Should open up.

8. jfranco93

jfranco93 Newbie

I could see a drop every 3 or so seconds at idle so I unplugged the vacuum and capped the port and it stopped ... I did go WOT both running and not, I can see a little movement but definitely not opening

9. YOguyDA

YOguyDA Addict

Truck:
    1986 Regular Cab
    The bottom half of your carb houses the actual throttle bodies (primary/secondary).

If you're only looking at the top, you won't see much. Try opening up the butterfly over the secondary with your finger and playing with the throttle with your other hand. You should see it open up.

If not, check you linkage...it should be sequencial.

10. jfranco93

jfranco93 Newbie

Yea the two bronze circle butterflies looking down the carb mouth with a flashlight.... am going to check that out and do a cleaning...I might have to just tap into my "oh s#!t " money and get a weber

11. glitchinq

glitchinq Member

i am having the same issue with high idle. no matter what i adjust on the carb it doesnt really change the idle at all. i know im having a vacuum leak on the egr plate on the intake itself but i wouldnt think that would really effect the idle

12. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Vacuum leak?

13. glitchinq

glitchinq Member

the truck doesnt die or anything. it just idles very high. i suspect a vacuum leak by the egr on the intake but tomorrow i will be plugging it. my stock carb has been smog deleted also