Alternator problem or bad wiring need help

Discussion in 'Interior/Electronics' started by 671Yigo, Apr 29, 2014.

1. 671Yigo

671Yigo Member

Truck:
    95 reg 87 reg
    Its all started when i notice the signal lights and my gas and temp gauge went out. I checked the alternator got a new alt put it in and it doesnt charge. I checked all the fuses and they were all good my signals dont work but the hazards do. Need help :verdict_in:

2. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    If any new work has been done,go back & check all that was done!!
    And check all grounding points!!!:cool:

3. YOguyDA

YOguyDA Addict

Truck:
    1986 Regular Cab
    I'm confused...

The alternator didn't fix your blinkers, or the alternator isn't charging the battery?

Like TA said...sounds like a bad ground or short somewhere.

A wiring diagram helps narrow down the search.

4. YOguyDA

YOguyDA Addict

Truck:
    1986 Regular Cab
    Oh yeah. When it comes to wiring or mechanics in general, you can't completely rule stuff out...

I've spent a lot of time pulling my hair out, only to find out the fuse I thought was good, was actually bad... don't ask me how, it looked good but had no continuity with a volt meter!

5. Malessohomegrown

Malessohomegrown Toyotaholic

Truck:
    87Hilux,92Hilux reg,914x4 HiluxEC
    Check the relay that is above the fuse box on the drivers side kick panel.

6. Malessohomegrown

Malessohomegrown Toyotaholic

Truck:
    87Hilux,92Hilux reg,914x4 HiluxEC
    one more thing get a test light and test the guage fuse.If no power there you gotta trace it back.

7. 671Yigo

671Yigo Member

Truck:
    95 reg 87 reg
    thanks I've been checking all the grounds and relays all good but idk if the alt is good going to go to another napa because they told me that they don't know if there tester is bad so ill get back to you guys when i get the alt checked out agen.

8. JOE_1985

JOE_1985 Veteran

Truck:
    87 custom
    Dunno if this will help but I know some of the older toyotas have fuzeable links , if our trucks have those you may want to check that as well. If all else fails u sound like you may have a short on the bright side it's simple to rewire the alt

9. crazy_kat_matt

crazy_kat_matt Member

Truck:
    90' 2wd hilux(sold) currently 88' 2wd
    Anything new? Sorry to jack, just picked up an 88 almost same problems, no fuel/temp gauge, no horn, hazards work but blinker switch doesn't; noticed when hazards are on, the rear passenger blinker doesn't work. Ive swapped out with working bulbs, changed blinker fluid ;p and nothing; dash is completely out so I can check wiring but so far nothing. All fuses/fusible links checked/changed multiple times and all not showing signs of shorts/blown fuses. Wire from fusible link to battery not burnt and actually just fixed the ring terminal. Checked voltage at terminal b on alternator as per fsm reading 12 volts @idle with no fluctuation under load. Refurbished ND alternator from napa (which I'm deducing to being defective)

I know in my 90 when i had an optima red top slowly dying with a combination of a failing alternator; i remember intermittent electrical problem's like my fuel and water not working but the blinkers and horn? Turning into a hair puller. Also i have noticed in the fsm the am1/am2 fusible links are different sizes the factory installed depending on alternator size. 60a fusible with a 55a alternator and 80a with a 60a alternator. Not sure how helpful or not that is but maybe and unmatched fusible link/alternator could pose an issue... Mine are matched now so i guess i could see if napa could swap out the alternator and i could use a battery i know charges and see if that works. If anyone else has any info please chime in....

Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
  10. xopher8713

xopher8713 Member

Truck:
    1979 Toyota Pickup
    I had the exact same issue in my 79 and I replaced the negative battery cable and it fixed it. The grounds on my truck were horrible. I redid all of mine all over the entire truck.

11. crazy_kat_matt

crazy_kat_matt Member

Truck:
    probably not a bad idea, most of my grounds are exposed anyway now that everything is off.. maybe it's a good time to redo mine.

12. 671Yigo

671Yigo Member

Truck:
    95 reg 87 reg
    Got it to charge and all everything works driving but when i come to a stop and try and use my turn signals for some reason the fuel gauge goes down the charge light doesnt come on. After i get home just after the test drive i took the meter and shows that its only running off the battery like it shuts off the alternator from charging but once i turn it off and turn it back on it charges and i try and use the signals doesnt blink yu can hear the relay trying to go and makes the fuel gauge drop agen and the alternator is not charging after showing 14 drops to 12 volts

13. crazy_kat_matt

crazy_kat_matt Member

Truck:
    Ok so kinda same bro. Got my truck to charge as well.. Figured it was the 12v ignition wire, ran a wire from battery to ign and alternator charges perfect, still no blinkers. I think it has something todo with our 15a engine fuse. If i start wiggling only that one, i hear clicking, no fuse pops, but still no blinkers, horn, or temp/fuel gauge. Or a crossed wire or something... frustrating i know..