Alternator Issues

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by k5james, Jun 5, 2015.

1. k5james

k5james Newbie

Truck:
    91 xcab 2wd
    well, I got the battery/brake light combo on my dash which after doing some research is likely to indicate a bad alternator. I continued to drive the truck and sure enough the it ran the battery down. I ordered some new brushes and r&r'd the alternator and charged the battery. The truck started right up but the battery/brake trouble lights are still on. The belt is turning so the alternator is spinning but I can't tell if it's working or not.

I'm going to take it to the parts store so they can test it but thought I'd check to see if any of you have had a similar issue.

2. Mikerocosms

Mikerocosms Veteran

Truck:
    1990 22R Pickup
    Simple things you can do:

Check your battery under load (when starting the truck). If you dip down to anything like 5-8volts you may just need a new battery.

Also check to see if your brake fluid level is within spec.

3. Robert m

Robert m Addict

Truck:
    '94 single cab, 22re, 5spd
    When the truck is running, put a volt meter on the + post off the back of the alternator and the ground of the battery and see how much the alt is putting out. it should be putting out 14-14.5 volts.

4. YOguyDA

YOguyDA Addict

Truck:
    1986 Regular Cab
    I drove my truck for a few years with the brake/charge light on...

For a week or so, I noticed while driving home from work that the dash lights were dim.

Then on my way to work (dim dash lights) my HID headlights started flickering.

I made it to work (no headlights, running lights, hazards stopped working, radio even turned off), but there was enough juice for the old 22r to keep running :)

Had a friend take me to autozone after work to get a new alternator.

When they tested the old one, the machine said it was the internal voltage regulator.

5. k5james

k5james Newbie

Truck:
    91 xcab 2wd
    It's the alternator. I bought a new battery and it is running down. I should slap myself for not having the alt checked before I put it back in. It has to be the voltage regulator.

Well, looks like I get to tear the thing apart again to put a new one in. Where's the best place to get a good new one online?