airbag setup, shops? price?

Discussion in 'Suspension/Chassis' started by 390armstrong, Jan 29, 2015.

1. 390armstrong

390armstrong Member

Truck:
    90 xcab 3.0 vze
    Ok...so im looking to do a triangulated four link setup with accuair elevel, bags on bars, z'd to lay frame on 18's. What would be considered a good price? And does anyone know of shops in the san diego area....yes a shop..not a guy that does bags or a friend of a friend. Also i dont care if tubbed or not...all comments and replies are greatly appreciated...i know avs has the kits for $3000..and i been quoted $9000 for the whole setup, meaning 3000.for kit and $6000 fabrication..

2. Xs5875

Xs5875 Addict

Truck:
    1994 Standard cab 22re 5 spd
    Well if you are going to lay frame on 18s and Z then you will have to be tubbed on the firewall. Then comes the question of keeping a/c and heat. There is alot to it, I mean alot. But if money is no object roll it onto KBS fab and let em have at it..Me on the other hand, you buy the stuff I could do it for $3k. But Im in Ga, so not happening.

As far as run of the mill bag job quotes, IDK, maybe 9000 total seems high, to be left with a truck thats not bodied and only on 18s....meh.

3. Litneon

Litneon Super Moderator Staff Member

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    Just keep in mind though, that unless you put out BIG money, that shop you are taking it to is no different than someone's buddy... There isn't much accountability and I've seen shops do worse work than a buddy ever would. The buddy is more likely to take the job personally. I would.

4. 1lowSr5

1lowSr5 Addict

Truck:
    90' xtra cab Sr5, 2003 taco
    I agree with both on this one. There are A LOT of little things that go into building these minis. I'm from cali and lived there for 27 years of my life, used to build cars when I lived there as well. $9000 doesn't seem to expensive for the area. But, you will probably get change orders and end up paying more as decisions are made going through the build. You buying your "equipment" will save you money. Most places if you bring your own "equipment" won't warranty the equipment but should warranty the workmanship. But as Litneon stated most shops will find a way around these warranty issues and have no accountability. My opinion, build it on your own, or find a buddy or a friend of a friend. Most of the time with this path you get "quality over quantity.

5. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Empire fab does real good work and hes in Simi Valley.

6. 390armstrong

390armstrong Member

Truck:
    90 xcab 3.0 vze
    Thanks for all the advice...i will continue to shop around and looks for shops before i decide to get anything done...cant do it myself cause im actually just learning to weld on my own.....

7. Litneon

Litneon Super Moderator Staff Member

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    As long as you have a knowledgable welder person around to check you, your project is a great place to jump in.

8. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    I second that!!!:cool:

9. 1lowSr5

1lowSr5 Addict

Truck:
    90' xtra cab Sr5, 2003 taco
    I second this. Kind best of both worlds, he's a buddy on the forums and owns a shop. :waytogo:

10. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Ive seen the Lolux is person along with a VW van he has been working on and i cant lie, hes a talented fabricator.

If Twisted Minis was still around..

11. Robert m

Robert m Addict

Truck:
    '94 single cab, 22re, 5spd
    Hit up Bobby from Sadistic Iron works. He does amazing work. He isn't that close to SD though. He's up here in the high desert in Hesperia. He did my friend Frank's second gen 4runner and it came out awesome. It lays frame on 18s and it is not Z'ed. Bobby is also an accuair dealer.

What happened to Seth? I met him one time at the down to earth show in Viselia a few years ago and then he seemed to disappear.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  12. TRUCK ACTION

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    Seth closed his shop,& works for the state of Ca.

Has you you truck, make a parts list & shop around for the best prices.Don't buy air set kits ,as you will change things & it will cost you more.
    I got all my parts together before I started my build,collected parts over a period of time from @ lest 5 or more suppliers!
    Here's some photo's of suspension parts I collected:
    Also the rear link bars , rear Firestone Sleeve bags, & 8-piece notch

I went through many sites & save the photo's of what I planed to use,it makes it easyer to plan your set up,draw it out!!

Attached Files:

13. redman

redman Enthusiast

Whose A-Arms are those ^ ?

14. TRUCK ACTION

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    CanDo's , I think the new shop owner ,new name is making them or maybe Steve Nelson's brother-in-law,Bob Grant.:cool:

15. Xs5875

Xs5875 Addict

Truck:
    1994 Standard cab 22re 5 spd
    Also cost higher than giraffe p***y.