Aftermarket/universal AC systems

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Perkolator, May 24, 2016.

1. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    Do any of you guys have any experience with aftermarket universal AC systems?

Fantasizing about having AC in my 75 Hilux. I've been seeing in pics that the stock AC from back then basically looks the same as an aftermarket unit that sits under the dash on the passenger side. Everything is so wide open in these trucks, I can't imagine install would be that challenging.

The PO told me on the test drive that "the 2:50 AC works great!" (2 windows at 50mph, lol) but this truck doesn't have wing windows and a rear slider like my other truck does. Maybe it's just the metal building I work in that's messing with my head and making me crave more AC everywhere I go.

What's going to be the big difference between a $600 eBay special and a $1500 Summit kit?

2. Byronics

Byronics Veteran

Truck:
    89' Single cab
    im not sure about your body style pickup but i was referred from a friend to google search Arizona air. they quoted me about $1200 for a direct fit AC kit for my rn80.

3. Lowtide671

Lowtide671 Enthusiast

Truck:
    88' single cab 2wd
    @Perkolator
    I live here in San Antonio Texas right down the road from the vintage air HQ. I can tell you this much brother, for 1200 for their complete system its like having Climate Control at best...... A buddy of mine has got one of their systems in his chevelle and when its 100+ out side i avoid riding with that guy. in our trucks it might be a bit different because the cabs are a lot smaller.

4. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    so you're saying they're not good? or just not properly designed for varying size of cab space?

5. Lowtide671

Lowtide671 Enthusiast

Truck:
    88' single cab 2wd
    For the money I'm out, mediocre at best. Maybe you could find a complete system from 84-88 and retro fit?? My opinion is also based off me living in a super hot climate.
    Vintage air system are typically based around bigger cab sizes so maybe it would be more effective in our smaller cabs...
    One of my team trucks is a 82 and with my swap we may just put the AIr con in his truck. Really looks like it should work out. Hope this helps