Addco Rear Sway Bar Nightmare

Discussion in 'Suspension/Chassis' started by fintmica5spd, Oct 17, 2007.

1. fintmica5spd

fintmica5spd Member

Truck:
    1993 xcab
    OK
    So i got my New Addco Rear Sway Bar on tuesday and i decided to go ahead and slap it on. Looking at the hardware I notice that it has Two sets of U bolts For the two Different size Axel tubes used on our trucks. It also Has two different sets of endlinks ( 1 long set and one about 2 to 3 inches shorter). Reading the instructions I discover that the Bar faces The tailgate, the passenger side mounts with a braket to the upper shock mount, and the driver side mounts on the frame in a hole that was drilled at the factory but not used.
    So now
    I jack the truck up and drop the spare down and out for so extra working room, and while under the truck i noticed no hole in the driver side frame rail :confused: . So i got the drill ready with a 3/8 bit for the 3/8x 3 bolt that is to be used on that side. After mounting the bar to the rear diff i rotated the bar into a level position and i noticed right away that my exhaust was dead center were the endlink would be on both sides (Dual Exhaust).
    I just made that exhaust a week ago and was not about to cut it all up, so after laying under my truck for about 10 minutes i decided to get the welder out and find some new mounting points. Using the Long endlinks and the supplied L shaped Brakets( Hammered almost Flat ) i mounted the upper part of the link to the Beam that the Spare tire Crank is in.
    The only problem in doing this the end links are at an angle, not North south like they are suposed to be.
    But the moral of the story is, this was alot more than I thought it would be in terms of time and i would not recomend this install for the novice. Im sure if you have stock or stock style aftermarket exhaust you should be ok Minus that Drilling of the frame on the driver side. I have no clue were that hole is or why my truck doesn't have it

But after a nice test drive it was all worth the effort, I noticed body roll was cut in half going around turns and going strait the truck seamed more sure footed going over bumps.

Hopefully the front Addco bar will be 1/8 as time consuming as the rear:cool: