A/C

Discussion in 'Interior/Electronics' started by dailydragger, Jun 14, 2009.

1. dailydragger

dailydragger Enthusiast

so my 79 pickup came with factory A/C, but some genius cut it all out, but i still have the A/C box but every thing is alts is gone.. what other type of Toyota could i steel it from??? and how would i go about getting it refilled???

2. ShoNuff

ShoNuff Toyotaholic

Truck:
    75 hilux, 80 4x4
    so if i under stand correctly....

you have the in cab stuff, jus nothing in the eng bay...

so ya, you need the eng bay stuff from a 2xr. they all mount pretty much the same, the difference is the bracket, which "should" mount to your motor.

id go to a junk yard and get the main bits (compressor, radiator thingy) then get the lines for your truck.

or since most yards wont charge you for stuff attached to the main bit, id see if whatever donor car (corona, celica, pickup, and maybe supra) hoses work.

either way the A/C groove is already on the main pulley. the only add on is for power steering.

unless the newer trucks use one of the closer grooves for PS.

3. dailydragger

dailydragger Enthusiast

ok thanks a lot, are the hoses a any thing special??? i was thing of using air line it can hold 300 psi.
    from what i understand the old refrigerant is no longer used. do they fill it with some other stuff now??

4. burnzya

burnzya Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    bodied 73 hilux
    still gunna fit with a body drop?

they use r-134 now. i might have all the parts on my 79 parts truck.

5. dailydragger

dailydragger Enthusiast

yeah it should i dont see why not...

6. Racersk

Racersk Member

I'm currently in the process of adding A/C to my 80 longbed SR5. If you can find your truck that came with factory A/C everything will just fit. Even if other mods limit you from using factory hard lines, the fittings can be added to flex hose for custom hoses. My biggest hurdle is the wiring there one connection that I still need to mak, I belive it is just an ignition source (all black, no tracers).

I added the ducting, A/C box add on (under dash) hard lines in and out, condensor, dryer and even the 83 heater controls with the A/C switch built into the fan switch. I might not use the A/C idle up solenoid, I can't install an actuator or create a big enough controlable vacuum leak due to my custom EFI and big cam. I am replacing all o-rings in the system, just 'cause. I will try to use 134, but I do have a source for the old stuff too. :waytogo:

I got a quote to clean and fill my setup once ready, but it has to be cheaper than $400 if I can provide the freon!

Shawn K
    Covington,WA

7. CajunTaco

CajunTaco Enthusiast

Truck:
    92 Reg Cab
    You can still buy R-12 but it's $30 a can. R-134 is $8 a can. A conversion kit doesn't cost but a few bucks, and my converted yota will quite literally freeze you.